Lens filters and ISO

Reaction score
hey all.

Where can I go to learn about lens filters and ISO exposure etc etc.
Cameras and video are all new to me in terms of getting info the best light etc.

Was looking at these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182078952480

Any good?

Thanks in advance

Darren

YouTube has a lot of helpful videos. I have a few linked here.

Reactions: Dazzauk
Thank you,

what do you think about the ebay link product?

I've never tried those filters. You can find some reviews for that filter set here on Amazon.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend and lens and filters which work well on the standard? preferably tried and tested? Ive read some reviews that say some lenses overload the gimbal ..

The 2-piece filter sets like you linked above will most likely always be heavier than filters that slide onto the barrel of the camera. You can find some P3S filters that are known to work well here.

The 2-piece filter sets like you linked above will most likely always be heavier than filters that slide onto the barrel of the camera. You can find some P3S filters that are known to work well here.

thank you sir :) do I need slide on ones?

Yes -- since the P3S camera barrel is not threaded.

Yes -- since the P3S camera barrel is not threaded.

Ah ok thanks for another new piece of info, only problem is all of your links whilst great are for the U.S, I seem to struggle here in the U.K..

You can still use them as a reference to see which filters are available and compare the reviews ;)

For only $13.... it'd be worth a shot. Plus the fact that it's Amazon and they'll take anything back, no hassle.

Good shout lol. Being so new to this are hear the type of filters I should be getting? I noticed they are graduated top to bottom. Other more expensive filters I've seen dot. Seem to be like this. But my knowladge is very small on this subject.

Found these at good price. Anyone know if these are good?

Neewer® for DJI Phantom 3 Standard, 3PCS Graduated Color Filter Set: (1)Graduated Grey Filter+(1)Graduated Orange Filter+(1)Graduated Blue Filter, Not for DJI Phantom 3 Professional or Advance https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019OECBZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_npmIybTPY67EB

Hi Daz, I'm not sure why you're going for coloured filters exactly, they won't help with any rolling shutter/jello problems. They are used primarily to match white balance, which won't really be a problem with the drone outdoors as there won't be mixed lighting. I've just got my mitts on these ND and Polarizing filters, will test them out over the next week or so and can let you know how they are. If you have any questions about camera stuff, feel free to shoot me a message, I shoot (with my feet firmly on the ground) for a living.

Hi Daz, I'm not sure why you're going for coloured filters exactly, they won't help with any rolling shutter/jello problems. They are used primarily to match white balance, which won't really be a problem with the drone outdoors as there won't be mixed lighting. I've just got my mitts on these ND and Polarizing filters, will test them out over the next week or so and can let you know how they are. If you have any questions about camera stuff, feel free to shoot me a message, I shoot (with my feet firmly on the ground) for a living.

Thanks boss :) that's what I needed, someone who has experience view.

Ive only read not experienced any camera issues yet, but I am wanting to prepare for anything that could happen, Trouble is I've no knowledge at all lol, a I right in thinking rolling shutter/jello is caused by too much light?

Not sure what kind of lenses I will need to make sure I can make good quality videos year round?

Also love to understand iso, shutter speeds etc

Sorry for all questions lol

Darren

P.S would love to hear you opinion on what you just purchased, I read some of the reviews said it made the camera too heavy and damaged the gimball??

a I right in thinking rolling shutter/jello is caused by too much light?

The short answer is yes. The long answer is a bit more complicated and has to do with the way that the P3S camera handles auto exposure as well as the way the sensor captures content. The problem with the P3S camera is that it has a fixed aperture of f/2.8 which lets a lot of light in and can't be changed, the camera itself then tries to combat this by making the shutter speed higher to let in less light. This effectively exaggerates the jello effect caused by the sensor scanning the frame (rolling shutter). In film, we combat this by adjusting the shutter speed (rule of thumb is shutter speed should be twice the frame rate, so 25fps=1/50 second shutter speed), but in almost all daylight situations the f/2.8 aperture will blow the exposure on these settings. That's where the ND (neutral density) filters come in, because they reduce the amount of light that hits the sensor evenly.

I will let you know what I think about the ND filters and if they strain the gimbal when I've had a chance to test them.

ISO is about the sensitivity of the sensor and can be cranked up in low light situations and down in good light situations. You can read more about the relationship of aperture, shutter speed and ISO by learning about the exposure triangle.

That would be an expensive experiment, it doesn't state whether they fit the P3S, and, judging by the Q&As they definitely fit the P3P, which doesn't necessarily mean it will fit the Standard. If they're screw on filters then you're out of luck, plus at £50 I'd rather not!

By the way @Dazzauk I linked you to the wrong filters. These are the ones I bought and I just weighed the adaptor ring + filter, 2g, I'm sure the gimbal won't even notice

P8001 is the polar pro part number for the same three-filter set for the P3 standard. The good news: it's usually less expensive! I have them and I recommend. They're a great place to start and experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen