Lens Filter Issue?

Reaction score
Can anyone tell if the camera for this P2V+ have a funtioning lens cover, or set up to be able to use lens filters? The after market filter mount for the P2V worked out so well...just hoping this new camera will be setup better!
Moose

My P2V+ arrived today. The lens cover is a plastic cap that slips over the round barrel portion of the camera. No thread or bayonet or anything to attach generic filters to. There would have to be an adapter of some kind I think to use any filter.

RedRyderMedia said:
My P2V+ arrived today. The lens cover is a plastic cap that slips over the round barrel portion of the camera. No thread or bayonet or anything to attach generic filters to. There would have to be an adapter of some kind I think to use any filter.

Thanks! Looks like that will be my 1st modification...
Moose

RedRyderMedia said:

LOL You have to believe that DJI already has a ★ MOUNT ★ ready to go, costing them 10 cents to make and $15 to sell us later. They remind me of Apple's marketing....

Moose

If I wanted to mount a filter on one of these Phantom cameras, I'd find a filter that was the right size to slip into the lens cover that is supplied with the Phantom and then cut out most of the flat portion of the lens cap. That should serve to hold the filter in place at the front of the lens. A bit of tape at the sides might be a good safety feature.

But...following up on that...I'm not sure I can see an actual use for a filter on the Phantom Camera. Since a polarizing filter is very "position sensitive"...and will have much different effects depending on the tilt of the camera as well as the orientation in relation to the sun and using a ND (Neutral Density) filter would have almost zero effect since the camera automatically adjusts the ISO (Sensitivity) automatically, cancelling out what ever effect the ND filter might have. In most cases, you are better off using the + / - adjustments that are in the DJI app.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Phil...OK....I understand, first advice I'd have...do NOT fly in extreme sandstorms...!!! [G..!] But, beyond that, what I suggested would still work...just use a UV or an optically clear filter of the correct size and affix it to the inside of the lens cap...(after cutting a hole in it....duh)...!! And...depending on how tight a fit it is...or how brave you feel, a few pieces of tape would provide some additional insurance. You might find it easier if you removed the threaded ring from around the filter itself, that would allow a snugger fit and might eliminate any vignetting that could occur due to the extreme wide angle lens of the Phantom. And...since the lens cap is now useless for it's original purpose, you might as well glue the filter permanently in place.

Check the Bargain Bin at your local camera store for cheap clear filters in smaller sizes. I just measured mine and it looks like something in the 37-38mm range might work. Not many of the current cameras use these smaller sizes, so you might find something for just a few cents.

Good luck...

All,

Here's a gentleman who added filter capabilities to a camcorder he has which didn't have them...

http://youtu.be/9NpDfGl2ry0

It's obviously not identical to the Vision+ camera, but would it be possible to apply the same sort of technique that he did? It sure would have been nice if DJI had just added enough threading to attach a filter... I'm one of the few who would like to use a circular polarizer when taking outdoor photos in certain situations.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4