Lens distortion, multiple exposures when shooting into light

Reaction score
Recently, I've noticed that bright lights, like buildings streetlights and stop lights, show up as multiple exposures in my shots. So, one light appears as three. My guess was a scratched lens, but after looking for a scratch I couldn't find anything. Anyone have this problem. In the picture, the lights in the top right are the ones mostly affected.

Attachments

• IMG_2651 (1).JPG
    IMG_2651 (1).JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 463
You're seeing reflections from either the lens elements, or the clear UV filter that's mounted before the lens. This isn't desirable, but is pretty common. Try remove the filter and see if that makes a difference. If you've added some sort of aftermarket filter, definitely remove that.

I don't have any filters on the camera, did you mean to take the entire camera apart? I agree that its a reflection and I've taken the back of the camera off and tried to clean the inside with air, but so far no luck. I noticed that one side of the image is okay, but the other is unusable.

If your using a P4 then the front lens cover on the front of the camera unscrews. I believe this is what Crgram405 was trying to explain. This way you are flying with the naked lens, so limiting the chance of refraction/reflection, something alone those lines!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: MedicFL1
Hey mate, it could be and looks like what's known as a "chromatic aberration", it happens when wavelengths are coming through the lens at different speeds. Maybe because of the high contrast between the lights and the dark background it might be the issue. If you google chromatic aberration it may explain it better.

Thanks guys, I just took everything apart again, but it looks like I'll have to send it in : (

Have you tried shooting at a different pixel rate like 1080, 720, etc.... And what's it like during day time?

Neon Euc

I had this exact problem with my Phantom 4, after sending it in they shipped a whole new bird and it worked flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: MedicFL1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan