Lens defect in new P2V Camera

Reaction score
The left edge of the picture is blurry and at 100% the texture of the picture looks like a watercolor filter effect has been applied. Ugh... :evil:

The FPV is also very blurry compared to my last camera (this was the first thing I noticed). Where is the QC?

UPDATE:

Ok just got off with DJI. It's a known issue (lens defect) he said to send it back. Then my call dropped so I didn't get to ask any details. I wasn't going to call back and hold the line for another hour. At least we know there is a pulse out there answering tech support calls.

UPDATE 2:

I swapped the lens/sensor out of the good camera and put it in the bad camera and it's working great now!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7716&start=10#p62599

Re: Just tested new P2V's camera and it's bad

Here are 3 shots. 1 from the first P2V Camera and 2 from the second. Tell me I'm not crazy!!! All of the shots I just took with the second camera are super blurry down the left edge.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

How hard is it to pull the guts out of one camera housing and put it into another?

How high were these shots taken from?
Thanks
gfredrone said:
Here are 2 shots. One from the first P2V Camera and one from the second. Tell me I'm not crazy!!! All of the shots I just took with the second camera are super blurry down the left edge.

How hard is it to pull the guts out of one camera housing and put it into another?

First one around 150 second around 200 if i had to guess. The air is clear so that's not smog lol.

My first camera was very clear around all 4 edges. The new one (second camera) is terrible when compared in every shot.

I just want one that works! Is that too much to ask for DJI?

My eyes are old but the 1st shot looks clear on the edges,2nd left edge does appear blurry. Do videos appear blurry on the left as well?
gfredrone said:
First one around 150 second around 200 if i had to guess.

My first camera was very clear around all 4 edges. The new one (second camera) is terrible when compared in every shot.

I just want one that works! Is that too much to ask for DJI?

The video is much more grainy than my first camera. I added another picture to the link above from the second camera.

gfredrone said:
Here are 2 shots. One from the first P2V Camera and one from the second. Tell me I'm not crazy!!! All of the shots I just took with the second camera are super blurry down the left edge.

Those are great compaired to mine check it out.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9eaJB- ... ptTkE/edit

Attachments

• yuck.jpg
    yuck.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 682

Yours isn't blurry on the edge. Looks like my first camera.

To the OP: Actually, that doesn't look too bad. Remember, it's a fisheye lens. It WILL be soft on the edges. I downloaded an image and it looked good to me. <shrug>

BTW, how did that one homeowner get away with NOT installing an in-ground pool??? Everyone else on the block has one! LOL!

FSJ Guy said:
To the OP: Actually, that doesn't look too bad. Remember, it's a fisheye lens. It WILL be soft on the edges. I downloaded an image and it looked good to me. <shrug>

BTW, how did that one homeowner get away with NOT installing an in-ground pool??? Everyone else on the block has one! LOL!

One pic is from first camera while the other two with the blurry left edges are from the second P2V camera.

Was thinking the same about the pool NOT being installed. Hope it doesn't lower my property value, lol.

CunningStuntFlyer said:
Send it it back. Despite some of the other comments it's obvious that there are severe soft focus issues on the left side of the new camera (not related to a fisheye lens at all).

I was afraid of that! On hold now with DJI US to see what they have to say. Automated phone system says I'm next in line but it's been saying that for the last 20 mins. Called about an hour ago and was number 9 when I started.

Like I don't have better things to do! C'mon DJI get your act together!

Ok just got off with DJI. It's a known issue (lens defect) he said to send it back. Then my call dropped so I didn't get to ask any details.

Updated OP

My new P2V had this left lower frame blurry issue, I sent 2 or 3 sample photo's to [email protected], he forwarded them to support, and I had an email the next day telling me to return the faulty unit for replacement. I contacted Downtown Photo in NY and he had also gotten a cc of the email, upshot was he cross shipped me a new unit and emailed me a UPS shipping label to return the bad one. I could not have asked for better customer service from DJI or Downtown Photo. Had my new unit in 6 days and it works just fine.

Both your P2V #2 images are out all along on the left side. Flat field focus on your first P2V image is pretty tight. I would insist on them doing better than the replacement they gave you, or if you have both in your possession swap the camera & its board, very easy to do. Not sure how dealer or DJI feel about that, but that's up to you.

iDrone

gfredrone said:
Here are 3 shots. 1 from the first P2V Camera and 2 from the second. Tell me I'm not crazy!!! All of the shots I just took with the second camera are super blurry down the left edge.

To me the 1st picture looks fine. The second two pics have obvious blurring on the left side.

iDrone said:
Both your P2V #2 images are out all along on the left side. Flat field focus on your first P2V image is pretty tight. I would insist on them doing better than the replacement they gave you, or if you have both in your possession swap the camera & its board, very easy to do. Not sure how dealer or DJI feel about that, but that's up to you.

iDrone

I didn't pull the board but did something similar to what you suggested. The ribbon cable just slides in and out of the clamp on the sensor/lens board so I went that route.

I swapped the sensor/lens from the good camera (P2V1) to the bad camera (P2V2). Testing in the house the FPV is very clear and the stills I took look good after the swap.

The P2V1 with the bad gimbal gear and camera is going back to Amazon and I'm keeping P2V2 with the swapped sensor/lens. Win win for everyone in my opinion. Less shipping and lees RMA stuff to deal with.

Here are some pics of the swap. Don't worry that's an anti-static towel. Keeps the wife from giving me static when working on the wood dining room table.

Now we just need someone to come out with a third party sensor/lens that is DSLR quality.

Hi There,

I've noticed this post and it drew my attention as I'm also experiencing blurry spots in the lower left corner of the pictures I've took with my P2V. Some people say it's an (normal) effect you get from using fisheye lenses but I'm not so sure as the other corners of the pictures don't really have it (or at least not in that degree).

Another issue I'm suffering from is that I sometimes have a glare in my picture. See some of my samples at https://www.dropbox.com/sc/5f7yvvrzbok1kl3/kKFaKZl_dW#/
The one with the mill has a glare.

can someone tell me whether this is normal or not....?
btw, I don't really have these issue with video.

Thx, Vincent

Pull_Up said:
You'll get the lens flare due to the position of the sun - it's not a camera defect.

Is this particular for fisheye lenses? I've taken thousand of pictures with digital cameras and can't remember I've had flares ones....
With the PV2, when it is sunny, 1 on 10 shots have a it.

And what about the blurriness in the down left corner, Is that something normal?

If you have taken thousands of picture you have some lens flare in there somewhere. I have a £1k lens that I can do it with, so the £1 one of the P2V isn't really a challenge... :idea:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31