Lens cleaner

Reaction score
sounds daft but how many of us actually look at the camera lens before flying, or do you simply pop off the protector, slap in a battery and take off?

I was making a video last night for my channel and I happened to glance at the lens and realised it was really dirty.

So whats the best cleaner to use.
I'm in the UK so relevant shops etc please.

I use this lens pen to clean my cameras. There are many others just like that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: crash1sttime
2ed838a369cbffe1bb905f62ecff5907.jpg

I keep this with the drone and clean the lens and filters often. It would really suck to get a good shot only to find out later its ruined because of a scummy lens or filter.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Stop by any camera store and buy lens brush, wipes and solution. Ask them for recommendations on how to do the cleaning. Just think of it as any other fine lens. Personally, I don't like to spray cleaner directly on the the lens ( actually the UV filter on a phantom), blow or brush loose material off and then wipe with a damp lens tissue. I don't use cloths, after a couple of uses, they get dirty. Single use tissues.

I lick it, wipe it with my shirt and enjoy crystal clear views.

Edit - just realized this was the phantom forum and not my regular FPV forum. For the phantom, I use a microfiber cloth that came with some polar pro filters - a thick pink one - it works well. I check the lens every single time before I fly. When flying the phantom, it's the only reason I'm doing it anyway - phantoms aren't exactly fun fliers - they're for video / pictures, so I'm sure to look at / wipe the lens before taking off.

As a lifelong photographer in hostile conditions---I too use spit and tshirts. Today I used soda water. I've used Gatorade. The best is condensation from your breath--it is pure water and covers the whole lens filter. You do use filters I hope--just to protect the expensive glass. Cleaners are great because of the surfactants--but having cleaner on hand when you really need it is rare (for me). I have 30 year old lenses that have endured my abuse with no scratches or hazing. With the drone I worry about the gimbal more than the glass--which stays remarkably clean.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Spit and wipe, well 2 have suggested it so maybe it's ok, thanks for the replies, Dan I don't use filters yet, they are on the shopping list at some point.

Spit and wipe, well 2 have suggested it so maybe it's ok, thanks for the replies, Dan I don't use filters yet, they are on the shopping list at some point.
Crash,
I think that Dan, myself and others were referring to the stock UV filter when we discussed cleaning the 'lens'. Hopefully you are keeping that on all the time unless/until you get some ND or polarizing filters. Then take it off and immediately replace with one of the others. That is your first line of defense in protecting the actual lens and keeping dirt off it. No dig or disrespect, just wanted to make sure that we were all on the same page.

To Rick and Dan

When i got the quad it was second hand and I had no idea that a filter was fitted as default, however I've just googled searched and can see the way it goes on and off.
So yes my mistake, it has the factory fitted filter, and my question should have read keeping the filter clean and not the lens.

To Rick and Dan

When i got the quad it was second hand and I had no idea that a filter was fitted as default, however I've just googled searched and can see the way it goes on and off.
So yes my mistake, it has the factory fitted filter, and my question should have read keeping the filter clean and not the lens.
Yeah, as long as a filter is kept on at all times, you shouldn't have to ever worry about the lens itself. If you do clean the actual lens, be extra careful to use a clean, non abrasive cloth, and I'd stay away from detergent cleaners altogether. The filters can be cleaned with lots of things, but the lifetime of them will be determined by how careful you are. I treat everything like I treat the lens.

To Rick and Dan

Glad we could be of some help. Happy flying and post a picture sometime!

Glad we could be of some help. Happy flying and post a picture sometime!

Can show you many mate, I've been flying and filming for 2 years with my trusty P2V, I'm after a set of filters and will do some comparison videos for my YouTube channel. Thanks again for the input.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I've only cleaned it once myself. Well kinda..... Flew in fog and it came back soaking wet, I mean really really soaked. Got a paper kitchen towel, dried it all up and the camera was spotless, no smears or anything. Not that I recommend using fog to clean it lol

Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20