"LegUps" - simple clip-on leg extenders

Reaction score
Having applied fundoobies mod (http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20089) to the camera mount to allow the camera to point vertically downwards, I needed some way to extend the legs so the camera doesn't scrape the ground at launch. However, to fit the Phantom in its backpack, these extensions need to be easy to put on and take off.

My solution involved 4 cable clips, 4 small screws and some odd bits of thin plastic (glued together with superglue). Each "legup" weighs just 8 grams. Because the cable clips are slightly more than semi-circular, once clipped on they don't come off too easily.

Attachments

• legups.jpg
    legups.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 1,381
  • taller1.JPG
    taller1.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,405
  • taller2.jpg
    taller2.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,375
That's smart !

It could even work fine with fastsmiles camera guard, better, could also be extended towards de back and/or in "T" shape to prevent tip-overs (when landing on grass etc)

I love custom mods and this one is noce. However, just in case you may not know, there are very cheap after market extended legs that accomplish this very nicely, and most likely a little lighter. However, I am not trying to discourage any from trying this, it looks like a great solution!

I need to be able to take the extensions off to fit the phantom in my backpack (which is just deep enough to take the standard legs).

Vertical sticks are Ø 4 mm bamboo (no interference to radio signals or magnetic fieds).
Horizontal sticks are OD 6 mm, ID 4 mm, CF tube.
T-Connectors are from a kite shop.
Rereleasable Zip Ties.

Release Zip ties and it takes less than a minute to detach/attach. Or just push extentions up.

Attachments

• D7K_2775-w1024.jpg
    D7K_2775-w1024.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,215

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers