Legalize UAV/Drone flying in FL State Parks!

Should UAV/drone flight be legal in state parks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cheapest liability insurance I could find is 890.00/year with a 250 deductible.

Join the AMA for $75 annually and you get their $2.5 million liability. Drone isn't covered, but even a policy that covers it may have a deductible that sort of makes it a throw-away if the deductible is $1,000 like my commercial photo gear coverage. DJI has been repairing most of these things for ~$300 so it might not be worth reporting you wadding it up too (i.e. Premium hike or dropping you.)

ONLY freshwater fishing statistics of ONLY FL residents:

$21,816,578 annual 2014-2015

Projected UAV/Drone Sales through 2021:

$12,000,000,000 / $1000 per drone = 12,000,000 new UAV/Drones by 2021

I don't think we are talking chump change by any means.

If the forecast for the community is expected to increase so drastically, I do not understand why the parks would not be ready to capitalize on numbers like this...? The average price for a FL State Resident fishing license is 17 bucks. Think about the totals if our state parks charged a similar annual $50-$150 for flying fees!

I understand where you are coming from, and I don't have a solution, but I'm so sick and tired of my state,city,county,town 'taxing' me for every little 'privilege'.

Join the AMA for $75 annually and you get their $2.5 million liability. Drone isn't covered, but even a policy that covers it may have a deductible that sort of makes it a throw-away if the deductible is $1,000 like my commercial photo gear coverage. DJI has been repairing most of these things for ~$300 so it might not be worth reporting you wadding it up too (i.e. Premium hike or dropping you.)

My understanding is, and I could be wrong, the insurance is only valid on private or 'sanctioned' land?

My understanding is, and I could be wrong, the insurance is only valid on private or 'sanctioned' land?

No mention of where the accident occurs that I read off their policy on their site here: https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/insurancesummarymembers.pdf

Even if the RC craft took off at a AMA sanctioned field but got into some flyaway accident where it flew off and went through someone's window a mile away and destroyed some million dollar Picasso painting I'd think they'd cover it - maybe. Don't know if they can justify it to only accidents occurring to the inside perimeter of the field.

It does seem to exclude commercial or 107 though.

keep in mind that the AMA insurance does NOT cover commercial ventures of any type. only hobbyists. It is liability coverage, which pays for damage to other
people's property and medical bills IF you get sued. I used Verifly last week, and got a 1/2 hour $9 rate for a shoot I did. and it was perfect for what I did...looks cheap
enough...and it is-if you are only needing it occasionally...but if you use it several times a week, then you are probably better off getting a yearly commercial liability policy.
Their coverage is average $10/hr, so if you shoot videos/pics 5 hours/wk that's $50 week times 50 weeks= $2500 year. You can usually add in the insurance billing into
your bid....so that can offset things, but if you are a true full time flyer, then the yearly policy is the only way to go-I'm hearing $800-$1200 yr being talked about.

One thing about the "Pay-by-the-hour policies" that I question is some outfits, like film commissioner offices (e.g. FilmLA, etc.), and especially the state and federal lands that require the insurance policy to be sent in along with their application for the commercial permit, do they send you a posted-dated form naming the forest or whomever as the insured that is required to sent in and then await the permit approval - whenever that will be? As slow as the feds are, a permit can take weeks or months (damhik! And pending if they lose the application and payment too!!).

Example: You file to shoot aerials on Jan. 17th at noon to 1PM in Sequoia National Forest. Do the one-hour insurance underwriters submit the form post-dated naming Sequoia National Forest, Porterville, CA as the insured for $4 million or whatever they deemed necessary?

Just because we have drones, doesn't mean we should be allowed to fly them everywhere. State and national parks are preserved for a reason, so we can all enjoy their solitude and beauty, be that in the form of camping, hiking, kayaking, etc. There is also the wildlife issue. I for one am in favor of these regulations.

No mention of where the accident occurs that I read off their policy on their site here: https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/insurancesummarymembers.pdf

Even if the RC craft took off at a AMA sanctioned field but got into some flyaway accident where it flew off and went through someone's window a mile away and destroyed some million dollar Picasso painting I'd think they'd cover it - maybe. Don't know if they can justify it to only accidents occurring to the inside perimeter of the field.

It does seem to exclude commercial or 107 though.

I think I may have confused it with the reference to AMA Document #706 in section B.3 of the AMA Safety Code. In any event, there seems to be so many way's they can negate coverage by failing to follow any number of requirements in their safety code, which you must be flying in accordance of for coverage to be effective.

I'm a AMA member and there is no way I would want their coverage to be my only coverage.

Just because we have drones, doesn't mean we should be allowed to fly them everywhere. State and national parks are preserved for a reason, so we can all enjoy their solitude and beauty, be that in the form of camping, hiking, kayaking, etc. There is also the wildlife issue. I for one am in favor of these regulations.

I don't know what the solution is, but blanket bans doesn't seem to be the answer.

Maybe we can ban the MANY obnoxious, rude and inconsiderate people who frequent our parks. They don't seem to need a drone to break the solitude and beauty, they are doing it just fine all on their own.

I don't know what the solution is, but blanket bans doesn't seem to be the answer.

Maybe we can ban the MANY obnoxious, rude and inconsiderate people who frequent our parks. They don't seem to need a drone to break the solitude and beauty, they are doing it just fine all on their own.

LOL..very good point :)

Although I do side with the no fly in State parks crowd.

There's over 1 million acres that's still flyable (today) in Florida's NF's.

I own property in Apalachicola Forest, fly there a lot and have yet to see another UAS.

Reactions: RJ_Make
I live in Northwest Florida and most of our coastline is part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. They have recently adopted the policy of the National Park System and now ban all drones. I predict flying in National Forests being banned very soon.

Their statement:

"We have already observed unmanned aircraft over some of the beaches and historic sites within Gulf Islands,” Seashore Superintendent Dan Brown said. “We know that shorebirds are very sensitive to low-flying objects, apparently interpreting them as predators. That causes them to flush and leave their nests, which leaves eggs and chicks exposed and at risk to the hot summer sun.”

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Les Davidson
I am a new UAV pilot, I have recently purchased the Inspire 1 pro V2.0 and the Venmuse x5 and I am absolutely loving it! I am posting this because with as great as this technology is, I was shocked to learn that here in Florida it is illegal to fly in State Parks. As a professional photographer I gained so much inspiration from taking my new gear out to my local state park and testing my new capabilities.

I understand that there are liability issues involved with flying at the parks but at the same time I think that a blanket ban is absurd. I feel like our parks are doing themselves a disservice by completely banning drone flight and the ability to capture from the air. Showcasing the beauty that we as taxpayers pay to protect would only increase the awareness of why we are paying into the parks as well as drive in traffic to some our state's best locations.

At the very least I feel that proof of insurance and a "resonable" permit fee should be all that is required to fly in any state park and that it would benefit both the UAV pilot in having a non-crowded/rural place to fly as well as increasing revenue, awareness and possible traffic to our state parks.

I have searched around online for quite a while today and I haven't seen anyone supporting the legalization of UAV/Drone flying in FL state parks, I created a facebook page @:

需要安全验证

Please show support if you agree with the cause, even if it is a long shot I feel that banding together to show support of a specific opinion is important. Thanks!
I am a new UAV pilot, I have recently purchased the Inspire 1 pro V2.0 and the Venmuse x5 and I am absolutely loving it! I am posting this because with as great as this technology is, I was shocked to learn that here in Florida it is illegal to fly in State Parks. As a professional photographer I gained so much inspiration from taking my new gear out to my local state park and testing my new capabilities.

I understand that there are liability issues involved with flying at the parks but at the same time I think that a blanket ban is absurd. I feel like our parks are doing themselves a disservice by completely banning drone flight and the ability to capture from the air. Showcasing the beauty that we as taxpayers pay to protect would only increase the awareness of why we are paying into the parks as well as drive in traffic to some our state's best locations.

At the very least I feel that proof of insurance and a "resonable" permit fee should be all that is required to fly in any state park and that it would benefit both the UAV pilot in having a non-crowded/rural place to fly as well as increasing revenue, awareness and possible traffic to our state parks.

I have searched around online for quite a while today and I haven't seen anyone supporting the legalization of UAV/Drone flying in FL state parks, I created a facebook page @:

需要安全验证

Please show support if you agree with the cause, even if it is a long shot I feel that banding together to show support of a specific opinion is important. Thanks!
The ban only refers to takeoff and landing. They cannot enforce the airspace. You can take off in a public area and fly in and out.

" (15) Aircraft. No person operating or responsible for any aircraft, glider, balloon, parachute, or other aerial apparatus shall cause any such apparatus to take off from or land in any park except in an emergency when human life is endangered or where a designated landing facility may exist on park property."

In my case Manatee Lake, the lake is NOT part of the state park. So I take off and land from the water.

he other oddity is that they blame that drones are noisy and disturb wildlife and park visitors. This particular park sits across the street from a drag racing facility and a shooting range. Contradictions you might say.

Question: How can a "designated landing facility" be requested in a State Park? Surely if they mention it in the rule is because it already exist.

Keep flying guys...

The ban only refers to takeoff and landing. They cannot enforce the airspace. You can take off in a public area and fly in and out.

" (15) Aircraft. No person operating or responsible for any aircraft, glider, balloon, parachute, or other aerial apparatus shall cause any such apparatus to take off from or land in any park except in an emergency when human life is endangered or where a designated landing facility may exist on park property."

In my case Manatee Lake, the lake is NOT part of the state park. So I take off and land from the water.

he other oddity is that they blame that drones are noisy and disturb wildlife and park visitors. This particular park sits across the street from a drag racing facility and a shooting range. Contradictions you might say.

Question: How can a "designated landing facility" be requested in a State Park? Surely if they mention it in the rule is because it already exist.

Keep flying guys...

If you get a filming permit from the Parks, they'll likely designate some take-off or operations area along with their monitor (ranger) assigned to you. It costs though - lots of $$$!

I do like some of the ranger's who come up with the excuses as in "They disturb the nesting birds." Although most will attack a drone and usually go for the win too if threatened. Anyone ever owned a watch goose on a farm? Nasty and mean bird. Even the seagulls in CA will go into a major swarm attack mode and run the drone flyers off. Aside, too bad DJI cannot come up with a stealth blade as on some military helicopters as the drones are loud buzzy things.

Fwiw, Kevin Morris of the FAA mentioned in a onlne talk about the National Parks restrictions matter where you could launch outside the Park and fly over it being in FAA airpsace, but the violation turns to the VLOS ruling where if you fly 500 feet you are probably out of the line of sight and then you break the FAA ruling as other local AMA local rules where they can get you. So you won't get far into the Park even doing it that way since the violation goes to the VLOS ruling. Some Nat. Parks are surrounded by a Nat. Forest who may have their own anti-drone restrictions too. Best to go to the Park and inquire as to a commercial filming permit - and get out your wallet.

I do like some of the ranger's who come up with the excuses as in "They disturb the nesting birds." Although most will attack a drone and usually go for the win too if threatened. Anyone ever owned a watch goose on a farm? Nasty and mean bird. Even the seagulls in CA will go into a major swarm attack mode and run the drone flyers off. Aside, too bad DJI cannot come up with a stealth blade as on some military helicopters as the drones are loud buzzy things.
If a bird feels the need to defend something by attaching it, is that not the perfect example of "disturbing" the bird?

If a bird feels the need to defend something by attaching it, is that not the perfect example of "disturbing" the bird?

Naw, I prefer to think that the bird will win and I'll not fly there again. I need to defend my bird too. ;)

Problem is the wildlife people take extremes with their excuses. They could say "Your drone disturbs the lizards in the desert who may think it is a bird of prey." Therefore, effective immediately, we will ban all drones from anywhere lizards may be on any dirt 24/7. I wouldn't put it past them to try it either.

Everyone just stay home, stay inside, and watch TV at a low volume. You won't disturb anyone or wildlife and no one gets hurt.

Naw, I prefer to think that the bird will win and I'll not fly there again. I need to defend my bird too.
I'm not sure you understand what they mean by "disturbing". If you think a bird will win when attaching a drone, try swatting at one with you hand while it's flying.

Problem is the wildlife people take extremes with their excuses.
Probably. For me, I think the bigger complaint is the annoyance of the drone. I think most people go to parks for the peace. But each park is different and I agree, it probably should be handled on a case by case basis.

I am new to the site and haven't even bought a drone yet (plan on the P3 4K in the near future). My investigation before purchase is leading me to wonder where I can even fly one locally here in Florida? I live near an airport, so that leaves my home area out of the question. If anyone in the Stuart Florida area can suggest a safe place to start out flying my new drone, please let me know? I even passed the FAA part 107 exam to get me more knowledgable on the rules and regulations.

I am new to the site and haven't even bought a drone yet (plan on the P3 4K in the near future). My investigation before purchase is leading me to wonder where I can even fly one locally here in Florida? I live near an airport, so that leaves my home area out of the question. If anyone in the Stuart Florida area can suggest a safe place to start out flying my new drone, please let me know? I even passed the FAA part 107 exam to get me more knowledgable on the rules and regulations.

Hey there. Fellow Floridian here. First - get that drone! Your life will never be the same after! :)

So how close do you live to the airport? Or a better question: How low do the planes fly when they are over your neighborhood?

I also took a look at the map - Looks like a lot of nice places to fly in Stuart away from the airport. The St. Lucie river, the causeway -- all that coastline!!! Plenty of places for you fly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj