Legality of the drone net shotgun shell

Reaction score
I am wondering if the FAA has weighed in yet on the legality of making or selling a shotgun shell designed to shoot down a drone with a net.

I am of the opinion that firing at any aircraft is a Federal felony and that manufacturing or selling this ammunition would leave the maker or seller liable in court for any damages incurred.

If I am piloting my drone legally and safely and someone opens fire on it, they should suffer both legal and civil penalties for their actions.

And if you are thinking about posting some total nonsense about shooting back, DON'T! Regardless of how much you love your drone, that is felony battery at the least and attempted murder if you have an aggressive district attorney and you WILL do serious prison time for it. It might sound macho but it is stupid and indefensible.

That being said, what do you all think?

If you are flying legally and safely, no one has any right to interfere with your operation in any way. Just be sure you are indeed flying legally and safely in accordance with any local laws and every FAA regulation.

The maker of a drone net shotgun shell could never be held responsible for the actions of others. He has no idea if they will be used to down legal or illegal drones. Just like a bullet manufacturer can not be held responsible for a murder.

If you are flying legally and safely, no one has any right to interfere with your operation in any way. Just be sure you are indeed flying legally and safely in accordance with any local laws and every FAA regulation.

The maker of a drone net shotgun shell could never be held responsible for the actions of others. He has no idea if they will be used to down legal or illegal drones. Just like a bullet manufacturer can not be held responsible for a murder.
Not a lawyer, but comparing to guns and ammo may not be on good legal footing. A device designed specifically to interfere with or take down an aircraft might not have much of a defense

I think it would be difficult in court to equate the seriousness of downing a manned aircraft with the downing of a small model aircraft with a projectile net. Even the FAA doesn't consider it to be as serious an offense. I do believe the shooter would be in hot water, if only for taking the law into his own hands, discharging a firearm, etc.-- but going after the shotgun shell manufacturer who probably also sells to law enforcement agencies IMO could not be held any more responsible than a bullet manufacturer. I'm not a lawyer either, though.

It should be illegal to fire on a drone, but that guy in Kentucky was acquitted of shooting down a drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic