Legality of Flying over Golf Course

Reaction score
I am on vacation at the moment and brought my drone with me. Is it legal to fly over a golf course? I just want to be sure before I fly. Thanks.

I would check with the course & make sure it is not in a no fly zone. As far as legality, you could piss of some golfers. I videoed my home course for them. As we went hole to hole, We made sure we told the patrons what we were doing. One or two of the old geezers were not too happy but we're agreeable to wait a few minutes until I got done. Of course the higher you are the less obtrusive it would be.

What's the location of the golf course? Assuming you're not in a No Fly Zone or military base or similar area, in the USA, I'd say it's probably legal.

Probably legal but the golf course will most likely say no. If it disturbs other golfers (or they assume it will) they will tell you no. Edit: I bet if you flew high enough nobody will care

Reactions: aka1ceman
This depends a lot on local laws. Generally speaking, if your purpose is to film the golf course itself, you need to seek their permission. If your purpose is the pass over it as you fly to another point, you don't need to seek their permission.

This depends a lot on local laws. Generally speaking, if your purpose is to film the golf course itself, you need to seek their permission. If your purpose is the pass over it as you fly to another point, you don't need to seek their permission.
I highly doubt there's any local laws that specify that sort of difference.

I wouldn't ask the golf course, they'll probably say no really quick, even though it would probably be legal. if there is no no-fly zone over it I'd go for it without bringing it up to the course.

i fly over the golf course by me cuz its literally the only open area without trees by me but its also winter time and no one really plays. If someone is playing, i usually wait until they pass or fly high enough where they wouldnt even notice.

I highly doubt there's any local laws that specify that sort of difference.

In all the states I have flown in, that is more or less the basis of the local laws. Intention is very much a distinction. Most privacy laws are structured this way. In your state, your mileage may vary.

In all the states I have flown in, that is more or less the basis of the local laws. Intention is very much a distinction. Most privacy laws are structured this way.

That's akin to saying I can use a telephoto lens outside the house with the naked housewife, as long as I was shooting the birds in the trees in the house behind it.

That's akin to saying I can use a telephoto lens outside the house with the naked housewife, as long as I was shooting the birds in the trees in the house behind it.

In the majority of states, if your intention is to capture nudes of your neighbor, you are breaking the law. You can claim you're photographing birds and didn't see what was happening in the window but any half-minded LEO should be able to quickly determine your true intentions.

The same would apply to a golf course but in a civil capacity. If, for example, you posted a drone video online focused entirely on a private golf course, the golf course could sue you to remove it. This is especially true if you seek to profit from the video.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20