Legalities of you tube ads?

Reaction score
I know I can't legally charge for video services using my phantom due to FAA and/or FCC regs.

Is it also illegal to post your videos from the phantom on You Tube and have ads on them?

Its a good question.

if you don't monetise your account then who can complain if youtube places adds. If you do though and you make a lot of money then lets face it your using your phantom to drive a reward. Boy your videos are going to have to be good though :D

very interesting question. I do know that to make any sort of money, you need to have A LOT of views. Unless you are flying over a nude beach, I'm not sure you'll get enough views to really make enough money. If for some reason the FAA did say that was wrong, the very small amount of pocket change you made wouldn't be worth the hassle you would have.

Generating revenue from production media is not in the scope of the faa to govern.

Feel free to promote your images (moving or still) in any way you chose.
You hold the copyright. You are in charge of how the content is viewed and if a profit is made from letting somebody view it.

The faa has no power over copyright laws.
They govern airspace and the use thereof, not the recording of images.

The faa has no power over copyright laws.
They govern airspace and the use thereof, not the recording of images.
Nice try, but you contradict yourself. If you are flying in the NAS to 'record' images', then that constitutes use of the NAS and the FAA does have jurisdiction! That's what Part 107 is all about. This has been batted around here forever. Indicators are that posting on youtube does not in of of itself constitute a commercial use and if youtube sticks some ads on it you seem to be ok. If you start receiving $$ for the postings, then you're back under Part 107. Copyright laws have nothing to do with this. That just protects the owner of the property from someone else using and profiting from your work without compensating you.

Right, If you receive compensation for the flight video.
Not for the compensation of the marketing of the video. FAA frowns upon being paid to film, but the folks who you generate revenue from on youtube are not paying you to film...they are paying you to view your content...even if the content was obtained through improper means.

I know I can't legally charge for video services using my phantom due to FAA and/or FCC regs.

Is it also illegal to post your videos from the phantom on You Tube and have ads on them?
On the flip side... If you monetized your YouTube page, could you use your 107 privileges to drone fish within 5 miles of an airport, in class G airspace?
I don't mean to hijack.. it's the same question reversed.

p3s- fishing
p4 Black- Inspections

Not sure how monetizing a YouTube video and drone fishing are connected? But as a pilot, you make the decision before each flight if the flight is 'hobby' or 'commercial'. If you decide that your fishing would be under Part 107 so that no airport contact is required, fine. Just make sure that all the other aspects of the flight follow the 107 rules. Drone Fishing might not be a proscribed activity, but don't do anything that the FAA might consider to be reckless! Heck, depending on which state you are 'fishing' in, if you decide 107' they (the state, not the FAA) may require you to get a commercial fishing license,

Not sure how monetizing a YouTube video and drone fishing are connected? But as a pilot, you make the decision before each flight if the flight is 'hobby' or 'commercial'. If you decide that your fishing would be under Part 107 so that no airport contact is required, fine. Just make sure that all the other aspects of the flight follow the 107 rules. Drone Fishing might not be a proscribed activity, but don't do anything that the FAA might consider to be reckless! Heck, depending on which state you are 'fishing' in, if you decide 107' they (the state, not the FAA) may require you to get a commercial fishing license,
I was thinking that monetizing a YouTube channel would make it commercial. Then, I'd be under part 107. My thought was to use a drone fishing channel to drive traffic to my home inspection business, and as a bonus, I could fish in more places. Perhaps even get authorization to fish in the surface delta in Galveston.
Btw I've been reading up on your waiver/authorization posts. Keep them coming. As soon as I get my temporary certificate, ill be applying for a few. The Houston area is loaded with busy airspace.

p3s- fishing
p4 Black- Inspections

Hey, worth a shot. and yes, IMO you will be under part 107.
Clock is still taking on the latest waiver request.

Reactions: aermale
Funny enough I done this last night. If I'm getting ads up I might as well get paid

1486743661274.jpg
1486743670056.png

Nothing to lose. Could pay for a battery in a few months

Neon Euc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers