Legalities of flying over reservation land.

Reaction score
Trying to find answers to this and would like to hear anyone's input. Have some beautiful scenery in S Dakota that supposively is on tribal land etc. one of the areas is east of the Badlands ( so I'm outside of the national park), but has some badlands looking terrain. Would love to get photos or video. Thoughts anyone?

Ask permission from the tribal council to be safe. Their land. Their rules.

Fwiw, I shot at a movie set once and the mountain behind the movie set was on tribal land. We were told not to point our cameras at it else we'd get into trouble with their land copyright. They had an Indian guy on a quad watching us with binoculars to see if we pointed the cameras at their hill. Very odd.

Reactions: rlphoto69
Ask permission from the tribal council to be safe. Their land. Their rules.

Fwiw, I shot at a movie set once and the mountain behind the movie set was on tribal land. We were told not to point our cameras at it else we'd get into trouble with their land copyright. They had an Indian guy on a quad watching us with binoculars to see if we pointed the cameras at their hill. Very odd.

Land copyright? It sounds like some people were just messing with you, and if you weren't located on federal Indian land during the shoot, legally I don't think nothing could of been done in their tribal court.

Trying to find answers to this and would like to hear anyone's input. Have some beautiful scenery in S Dakota that supposively is on tribal land etc. one of the areas is east of the Badlands ( so I'm outside of the national park), but has some badlands looking terrain. Would love to get photos or video. Thoughts anyone?

Yes, ask permission from the tribal council to shoot footage on the reservation, and if you have and friends who is a tribal member, have them come along just in case someone says something or asks questions.

People are going to be curious and ask questions.

Just FYI, I'm native and live on a reservation so I have experience with tribal politics.

Funny. I called the Pima / Salt River cops here a day ago. They said you will be arrested for trespassing if I fly on their land. Asked / Answered..

Reservations should charge a fee and allow for a permit to fly over tribal lands. That way they can profit from the beauty that it holds.

Reservations should charge a fee and allow for a permit to fly over tribal lands. That way they can profit from the beauty that it holds.

Some tribes have a permit for shooting films, and some don't.

I guess I'm lucky since I'm a tribal member on the reservation here. Here's a shot I did a few months ago on the rez.
Please excuse the music. :p

Some tribes have a permit for shooting films, and some dont

There should be some sort of yearly drone pass even at parks. Here in Georgia we have a "sportsmans" pass. It's purchased in addition to a fishing or hunting license, and allows fishing access to areas that are under more care by conservation groups. I dont particularly agree with with holding nature from folks, but it does keep the litterbugs out. The people you run into are more conservation minded and tread lightly since they are paying, they feel they are more responsible.

Hi jakobe75,
What's the sportsman pass. Does it allow you to fly drones in parks. I am in GA too. Pls let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi jakobe75,
What's the sportsman pass. Does it allow you to fly drones in parks. I am in GA too. Pls let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

no I dont think it allows for drones to be flown in parks,
but as far as I kow there is no regulation on drones in the state level parks, only in the national parks.

Google is your friend... from the Georgia State Park rules...

Drones
Under our DNR Board rule, drones or similar remote controlled devices are not permitted in state parks unless the Director determines that they do not threaten the health, safety and welfare of persons using the site. As such, Georgia Veterans State Park is currently the only park where the Director has authorized remote controlled devices.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Google is your friend... from the Georgia State Park rules...

Drones
Under our DNR Board rule, drones or similar remote controlled devices are not permitted in state parks unless the Director determines that they do not threaten the health, safety and welfare of persons using the site. As such, Georgia Veterans State Park is currently the only park where the Director has authorized remote controlled devices.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks,
Yes sure Google is my friend. I had to ask cos i was getting all confused with all the confusing info
I had contacted Gwinnett county authorities and they said drones and all model aircraft are prohibited in the county parks.
Thanks for your reply and the definite information

well that stinks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20