legal or not?

Reaction score
if I am flying at say, an ice skating rink for example (not with tons of people on it), and they came out and told me I couldn't fly there. would I be able to continue flying legally? or would I have to keep a certain altitude? I probably wouldn't be a pain and land it but I just wonder if they called the police, if I could tell them that it is legal and that they couldn't hit me with a fine or arrest me.?

Last edited:
It's not safe to fly over people anywhere. If you're in the US and they report you to the FAA, you are probably going to wish to hadn't done it.

Reactions: John N Kronyak
I believe that airspace is open for all, but it could cost you a lot for the lawyer to prove it. They could go for a reckless or careless type of charge though

if I am flying over say, an ice skating rink for example (not with tons of people on it), and they came out and told me I couldn't fly there. would I be able to continue flying legally? or would I have to keep a certain altitude? I probably wouldn't be a pain and land it but I just wonder if they called the police, if I could tell them that it is legal and that they couldn't hit me with a fine or arrest me.?

The problem is ''IF'' the drone has a malfunction and falls onto the rink. Can you not get a shot from an angle not being directly over people ?

I believe that airspace is open for all, but it could cost you a lot for the lawyer to prove it. They could go for a reckless or careless type of charge though
I agree. Even though hovering over people at a safe distance alone is NOT reckless or careless unless it malfunctions or you hurt someone. No different than someone saying you can't drive your car down a street that has pedestrians on the sidewalk. Because your car may malfunction.

Here is what you need to realize. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for any and all that may happen due if your drone causes harm.

While many people here will tell you here "flying in proximity to people is wrong" as a fear mongering attempt to salvage the industry with fears that "something might happen" I get it. I don't want anyone hurt either.

Sad part is, even though you may legal, it doesn't mean you may be harassed by officials or ill informed people.

Last edited:
Even though hovering over people alone is NOT reckless or careless unless it malfunctions or you hurt someone. No different than someone saying you can't drive your car down a street that has pedestrians on the sidewalk. Because your car may malfunction.
True. But, the FAA has a history of fining people who have done the same without causing an accident. If the OP becomes a huge nuisance to the FAA, then they might go after him too.

True. But, the FAA has a history of fining people who have done the same without causing an accident. If the OP becomes a huge nuisance to the FAA, then they might go after him too.
Yes, That is why my closing sentence to the OP was....Sad part is, even though you may legal, it doesn't mean you may be harassed by officials or ill informed people.

Reactions: John N Kronyak
Yes, That is why my closing sentence to the OP was....Sad part is, even though you may legal, it doesn't mean you may be harassed by officials or ill informed people.
Right. I think you meant to say it does not mean you won't be harassed. I caught your drift though ;)

And I really want people to understand that while flying, think of the drone as an extension of your hand. No matter how far or how high, you ARE responsible for anyone hurt or property damaged. So ALWAYS think of a safe way out if something was to go wrong.

Reactions: msinger
I film my wife doing triathlons (Local events) usually i get the bird on the side of the course Lake, street median and just yaw it at about 20ft , what the FAA rules for a lots of people? it maybe crowd at the finish line but the athletes are spread out on the field,, is that illegal??
So if DJIi just got geofencing on latest update, it will meant that if the bird can turn on, is not on restricted space? so that will make it a legal area?

if I am flying over say, an ice skating rink for example (not with tons of people on it), and they came out and told me I couldn't fly there. would I be able to continue flying legally? or would I have to keep a certain altitude? I probably wouldn't be a pain and land it but I just wonder if they called the police, if I could tell them that it is legal and that they couldn't hit me with a fine or arrest me.?
Doesn't matter if it's legal or not. Common sense dictates that you not fly over a crowd. You can fly anywhere you want, but be prepared to accept responsibility if you screw up.

what the FAA rules for a lots of people?
In their guidelines for hobbyists, they simply state "don't fly near people".

In my 333 exemption, they state the following:
"Flight operations must be conducted at least 500 feet from all nonparticipating persons(persons other than the PIC or VO)"

So, I'm thinking it would be best to stay at least 500 feet away from crowds.

I film my wife doing triathlons (Local events) usually i get the bird on the side of the course Lake, street median and just yaw it at about 20ft , what the FAA rules for a lots of people? it maybe crowd at the finish line but the athletes are spread out on the field,, is that illegal??
So if DJIi just got geofencing on latest update, it will meant that if the bird can turn on, is not on restricted space? so that will make it a legal area?
To many variables to your question here....lol can you be more specific?
1. Honestly.,there are TOO many grey areas in laws, regulations, rules, requirements, and guidelines.
2. It "may" be legal but it doesn't mean that you may be harassed, or fined (FAA)

I run 1/2 marathons at times. Is it near DC? (No P3s are locked down)An airport? (Possible outside radius )
....just like in another industry that I'm very knowledgeable about but not allowed to discuss here :rolleyes:... nobody wants to be the "test" case in court.

I can do that this is a clip of my last one the aerial part is swiming U tell me how Legal/Ilegal can I be?
Thanks Msinger

To many variables to your question here....lol can you be more specific?
1. Honestly.,there are TOO many grey areas in laws, regulations, rules, requirements, and guidelines.
2. It "may" be legal but it doesn't mean that you may be harassed, or fined (FAA)

I run 1/2 marathons at times. Is it near DC? (No P3s are locked down)An airport? (Possible outside radius )
....just like in another industry that I'm very knowledgeable about but not allowed to discuss here :rolleyes:... nobody wants to be the "test" case in court.
send a link to msinger I use to run half 2 wife does the full and tri glad we have more in common

The Phantom 3 has always had geofencing.
It's related to aviation safety and security areas - not triathlons.
DJI is currently carrying out a beta trial of a new system but this is not in the latest firmware.

For example... any event in DC, you will NOT be able to fly. DJI has these locked down in DC. I run in VA Beach once a yr. DJI has not locked them down yet, but I wouldn't fly there due to government base and flights in and out of. A more rural area (away from airports) may be possible since many events run past private neighborhoods. If a property owner gave you an OK at his place it might work at least near that location.

Meta: i just upgraded to a I1 so new to lightbridge my old p2v is running onold software i can do missions the old way ground station just learning the new rules
Thanks
yahoo had a post on dji new geofencing software release, my Inspire needed a upgrade before flying today

For example... any event in DC, you will NOT be able to fly. DJI has these locked down in DC. I run in VA Beach once a yr. DJI has not locked them down yet, but I wouldn't fly there due to government base and flights in and out of. A more rural area (away from airports) may be possible since many events run past private neighborhoods. If a property owner gave you an OK at his place it might work at least near that location.
My wife want to run the Marine Full one day guess i have to take my camera thereo_O

Just to clarify, the geofencing alone does not make it legal or illegal. It won't stand up in court. It is DJIs attempt to promote safety and keep gov't off their backs. You can't tell someone it's legal because the geofencing allowed you to fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj