Legal - Free Footage for church website

Reaction score
I am really new to this hobby. I have a Phantom III Pro and want to shoot some footage around my church to put together a short promo of our church for the church's website. This is not something that I will charge for. I realize that the legal stuff is murky, but since I am not charging and it isn't a for profit video, is there any trouble I can get into?

They had the film class at the highschool shoot some footage at the church with their drone, but is is a Phantom 1 with a GoPro and no gimbal. The footage was pretty bad compared to what I can shoot.

Thanks,

Kirk

Reactions: BigAl07
Kirk I would word that a bit differently.

I would say, "I'm planning to do some hobby flying around my church and surrounding area." Take the pics and video and fly safely.

Then you simply give the media to them and call it a day. It's all about the "Intent" of the flight at least that is my thoughts but I am far from a legal adviser.

Reactions: kirkdickinson
If you give it away for free, you can think and talk about it any way you want. It's the monetary aspect that gets you into the legality of what you're trying to do.

What I have done is given the footage to someone and told them not to give me credit for it in any way... (sometimes people want to be nice and say footage provided by so-and-so). Like others have said - it's the for profit thing that really causes the issues.

OK, thanks. I will do it for the church with the stipulation that is is a totally free "anonymous" donation that I just thought would be fun to shoot.

Reactions: BigAl07 and bbfpv
OK, thanks. I will do it for the church with the stipulation that is is a totally free "anonymous" donation that I just thought would be fun to shoot.

Hi Kirk, Welcome to the family.

I did one for the local church just for the challenge and pleasure of flying around a lovely building.
I had a quick squint for any roof damage while going around it too.
Going to try and do the inside soon (that should be fun ).
Good luck with yours.

Cheers,
Steve.

Reactions: BigAl07
I did a quick test yesterday. It was very foggy and toward the end, I think my lens had fog or moisture on it. This was an experiment to figure out what angles and shots would be cool.

Your church is really cool. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20