Legal drone shot down by neighbor

File charges because a drone is regulated by the FFA

I always chuckle when I see someone use "FFA" instead of "FAA." Makes me think that they must have grown up in the country (like myself) where the Future Farmers of America were an active high school organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueDreamz and JTC
What I really don't understand is this. If drones are in the categorized as aircraft by the FAA, then why are the Feds not prosecuting people who are shooting down drones? If mine gets shot down, or damaged by someone maliciously, I will call the FBI and report it. Not just the local LEO who maybe don't know the law, or just don't think it is important enough.

Obviously 1) you are late to the party and have no clue what you chirp about nor able to read any of the periodicals that have updated the story.
2) extremely biased, prejudiced and posses a head full of poop.
3) a troll
In your world, responsible gun use means shooting at something in a populated area.
Got it.

I'm still amazed by the speed of those with guns who successfully down a drone by shooting at it.

I mean, either they were lying in wait for the drone or already had the right type of weapon loaded and ready and nearby as otherwise my drone would have been long gone if it were just transiting someone's property.

Now if my drone was loitering over their property for an extended period they might have time to get a gun but all in all you would have to be pretty quick to get the right weapon and successfully down a drone unless you were sitting in a duck blind at the ready during hunting season.

Reactions: JTC
I just wrote this to the news channel that reported that there were no expected charges against the person who shot the drone down-

how is it possible that someone can go out and shoot down a drone and NOT be charged with something-risking the public, damaging private property, illegal discharge of a gun, I'm sure there are plenty of charges that should have been brought immediately, how is it possible none were brought by the police or the local DA??? The media has a responsibility to follow up on these types of crimes, that is strictly a flying camera being used legally over private property-only the FAA has the authority to impose any rules or restrictions on the actual use of ANY flying machine, and he general public can and should be charged with any relevant crime relating to interfering with lawful flight.

Reactions: bad karma
Don't become a victim of what you have already identified.
The media is biased, creates news and is not a reliable source of FACTS.

I can interpret this from years of this type stuff.
Fact: Very rural area. County jurisdiction. County law, unlike city law.
Fact: That is a gated community. One road in, one road out.
Fact: High dollar homes on acreage with swimming pools, etc.

I almost guarantee there is way more to this than even the media knows.
Notice none of the neighbors would comment. They know it's not what it appears or what the media thinks.

No way the SO would walk away from a charge if it was like WE THINK it happened based on the story.

It went like this.....SO rolls up on shots fired, checks out the people and neighbors, finds out what is really going on, sees this is mostly a civil matter with some grey criminal areas around both parties.

Basically tells both parties to settle down or both will be charged with a contravention of disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace and maybe reckless endangerment for a start.

Tells the drone operator to mind his business and the shooter to mind his business or both go to jail. Reminds them their neighbors and likely will be for a long time and that SO better not be called back to either place anytime soon.

No way one can fly gutters in that rural gated community on acreage and possibly "threaten" anyone(neighbor). For a female to get the neighbor to shoot down another neighbor's drone is laughable. Way more to this.

Way more going on than we know and the SO is trying to keep the peace and allow people to conduct themselves civilly or else.

Likely some deal where the guy had been spying and the neighbor and neighbors knew. Likely been warned several times until enough was enough.

SO tells drone owner you got what you deserved so eat the loss or have charges laid. SO tells other neighbor call police next time or face charges. Tells them, both of you need to resolve this and get along or else all of you are going to jail.
Such an old thread but I just had to say, you tell one heck of a story! :D:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic