Legal drone shot down by neighbor

Thanks media! You whip up a frenzy over drones and now you get to report on the fallout.

Bang on Geo with that statement!

What blows me away however is the Sheriffs office comments...........

"If you're going to be flying a drone and it happens to be in a neighborhood and you're there because you're working, let people know. As much as you can let the people around there know, hey I'm going to be flying my drone around,"

IMO - that is hardly the issue here (despite being good advice....maybe).........they seem far more concerned about the "drone" flying around than they do with some dope who came out with GUN and shot it down! Man oh man - as much as I hate to say it ........... this is just a totally insane mindset to the point where it becomes......well.......laughable

Right now the Oklahoma County Sheriff's office is investigating, but they tell us they do not think any charges will be filed.

Incredible.......just can't get my head around this where it is not likely any charges will be filed, the guy discharges a weapon in a neighborhood and this doesn't seem to be the concern at all?

Maybe it's just me and living in Canada where our mindset and laws are pretty well "polar opposites" to those in SOME parts of the USA when it comes to guns.

The more the public hears that no charges will be filed the more they'll assume it's ok & it's they're legal right to shoot one down.

Oklahoma or not, the construction company should sue both the shooter for the destruction of their property & the LEO's for allowing the discharge of the weapon in a residential area.

Don't become a victim of what you have already identified.
The media is biased, creates news and is not a reliable source of FACTS.

I can interpret this from years of this type stuff.
Fact: Very rural area. County jurisdiction. County law, unlike city law.
Fact: That is a gated community. One road in, one road out.
Fact: High dollar homes on acreage with swimming pools, etc.

I almost guarantee there is way more to this than even the media knows.
Notice none of the neighbors would comment. They know it's not what it appears or what the media thinks.

No way the SO would walk away from a charge if it was like WE THINK it happened based on the story.

It went like this.....SO rolls up on shots fired, checks out the people and neighbors, finds out what is really going on, sees this is mostly a civil matter with some grey criminal areas around both parties.

Basically tells both parties to settle down or both will be charged with a contravention of disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace and maybe reckless endangerment for a start.

Tells the drone operator to mind his business and the shooter to mind his business or both go to jail. Reminds them their neighbors and likely will be for a long time and that SO better not be called back to either place anytime soon.

No way one can fly gutters in that rural gated community on acreage and possibly "threaten" anyone(neighbor). For a female to get the neighbor to shoot down another neighbor's drone is laughable. Way more to this.

Way more going on than we know and the SO is trying to keep the peace and allow people to conduct themselves civilly or else.

Likely some deal where the guy had been spying and the neighbor and neighbors knew. Likely been warned several times until enough was enough.

SO tells drone owner you got what you deserved so eat the loss or have charges laid. SO tells other neighbor call police next time or face charges. Tells them, both of you need to resolve this and get along or else all of you are going to jail.

Reactions: Wang J Coon
I came here to post this. I absolutely blame the media for spreading misinformation and lies about "drones". I hate that **** term the media popularized because it is synonymous with bad things and "spying". They have created this climate of fear and these idiots with no common sense immediate think someone is spying or up to no good when one is flying anywhere. What absolutely shocks me is that no charges are being filed. The drone operator was flying completely legally for legit purposes, he had his property violently destroyed, a gun was discharged in a neighborhood up in the air. How many bullets fired into the air every year kill random people? It happens all the time. The idiot woman and the guy who shot down the inspire should be charged to the fullest extent, along with civil charges. They should be sued into oblivion and put into jail. Society is so backwards it makes me sick.

This attitude is all too common with people. I posted this before the other day but I was flying last week on a large public canal bank here in Florida. Flying up and down the canal range testing my new DBS panel. At no point did I fly over any houses or people and I was always around 300-390ft expect to take off and land. Just after I landed to pack it up and go home, some idiot pulled up next to me in a pickup truck in a very aggressive belligerent manner. He shouted at me, "What are YOU DOING?". I told him I am enjoying flying my quadcopter. He scream back, "That's no quadcopter, THAT IS A DRONE!". He then told me he saw it fly past his property and accused me of spying on him in a plot to steal his horses. I could not believe what I was hearing. I spent 10 mins explaining to him I am a hobbyist out for enjoyment, that I've lived down the street for 8 years and I am a responsible citizen. I would be happy to show him my flight logs and footage so he would not need to take my word for it. Finally got him to calm down and realize what I am saying is true. He left me saying that he is retired and is looking out for his neighbors and that I better be careful because people "around here" don't take kindly to drones and someone will shoot it down eventually. I felt like saying that would make them criminals for discharging firearms in a neighborhood and endangering people, while I am legal, but I held my tongue.

What absolutely amazed me about this encounter is that his property was about 300ft from where I was sitting bordered on 2 sides by public roads. I was just sitting out in the open in the middle of the canal bank not hiding anything. You could see his whole place better from the public road than in the air especially at 400ft where I can see less than a google earth view. What was this guy thinking? I told him that I can't see much that high and he said "don't tell me that because my nephew has one and it can zoom in real good on horses." In reality it would be the worst possible way to "spy" on someone because it's immediately apparent. It's obvious he has been completely brainwashed by the media. How do you deal with these fools? More and more of them around.

Forgot to add one last thing. I can't stand the fact they are putting the blame back on the inspire operators saying that they should have walked door to door and warned neighbors. Are you kidding? So now all legal drone operations we should have to write letters to everyone and knock on doors? Meanwhile the idiots who actually broke the law and endangered people, nothing is written about how maybe they should have asked about what was going on first? The onus of responsibility should be on the person who is discharging a firearm in a neighborhood to be dead certain they know what they are doing first before taking that action. Not on the person operating the quad and doing what they should be. Just crazy.

The onus of responsibility should be on the person who is discharging a firearm in a neighborhood to be dead certain they know what they are doing first before taking that action.

"dead certain"...........pun intended"?

Couldn't agree more - the whole article and the LAW all seems totally backwards as to cause and effect!

Society is so backwards it makes me sick.

Yup - happens more and more these days where the its the victims fault not the perpetrator.

"That's no quadcopter, THAT IS A DRONE!"

Not to make "light" of your post (which is very good and pointed information).............however when Einstein made that remark it was a good call on your part not to "ruffle any feathers". If they can shoot em down in Oklahoma - they can do it there - or worse.

Your whole story on the meet with that guy is just so unreal - unfathomable!

A lot relate the word 'drone" to spying and killing and are living in near paranoia from all the negative media coverage............never going to get better. All we can do is what you did - take the time to try at least to discuss and/or educate the people who are asking!

Reactions: NormanNormal
Absolutely baffling.

Can anyone understand why I've parked all mine that are over 1/2 lb...at least for a while?
People have lost their minds when it comes to "drones". Government too. Hopefully the madness will calm down soon.

This hobby USED to be so **** much fun.
Now you gotta worry about getting shot, notifying neighbors, NFZ's, cops who hate drones, huge fines, who's watching etc GEEZ

Can anyone understand why I've parked all mine that are over 1/2 lb...at least for a while?
People have lost their minds when it comes to "drones". Government too. Hopefully the madness will calm down soon.

This hobby USED to be so **** much fun.
Now you gotta worry about getting shot, notifying neighbors, NFZ's, cops who hate drones, huge fines, who's watching etc GEEZ

Does anyone remember 5 or 6 short years back, around 2010, when the whole FPV hobby was new and emerging. The word "drone" was rarely used in the media and only to refer to military strikes overseas. Whenever someone would be flying a quad FPV somewhere people almost always reacted positively with wonderment and curiosity. Rarely did I hear of anyone making assumptions of "spying" off the bat. Seems the difference came when the media started their campaign of lies and basically brainwashed the population into believing their sensationalist narrative.

I came here to post this. I absolutely blame the media for spreading misinformation and lies about "drones". I hate that **** term the media popularized because it is synonymous with bad things and "spying". They have created this climate of fear and these idiots with no common sense immediate think someone is spying or up to no good when one is flying anywhere. What absolutely shocks me is that no charges are being filed. The drone operator was flying completely legally for legit purposes, he had his property violently destroyed, a gun was discharged in a neighborhood up in the air. How many bullets fired into the air every year kill random people? It happens all the time. The idiot woman and the guy who shot down the inspire should be charged to the fullest extent, along with civil charges. They should be sued into oblivion and put into jail. Society is so backwards it makes me sick.

This attitude is all too common with people. I posted this before the other day but I was flying last week on a large public canal bank here in Florida. Flying up and down the canal range testing my new DBS panel. At no point did I fly over any houses or people and I was always around 300-390ft expect to take off and land. Just after I landed to pack it up and go home, some idiot pulled up next to me in a pickup truck in a very aggressive belligerent manner. He shouted at me, "What are YOU DOING?". I told him I am enjoying flying my quadcopter. He scream back, "That's no quadcopter, THAT IS A DRONE!". He then told me he saw it fly past his property and accused me of spying on him in a plot to steal his horses. I could not believe what I was hearing. I spent 10 mins explaining to him I am a hobbyist out for enjoyment, that I've lived down the street for 8 years and I am a responsible citizen. I would be happy to show him my flight logs and footage so he would not need to take my word for it. Finally got him to calm down and realize what I am saying is true. He left me saying that he is retired and is looking out for his neighbors and that I better be careful because people "around here" don't take kindly to drones and someone will shoot it down eventually. I felt like saying that would make them criminals for discharging firearms in a neighborhood and endangering people, while I am legal, but I held my tongue.

What absolutely amazed me about this encounter is that his property was about 300ft from where I was sitting bordered on 2 sides by public roads. I was just sitting out in the open in the middle of the canal bank not hiding anything. You could see his whole place better from the public road than in the air especially at 400ft where I can see less than a google earth view. What was this guy thinking? I told him that I can't see much that high and he said "don't tell me that because my nephew has one and it can zoom in real good on horses." In reality it would be the worst possible way to "spy" on someone because it's immediately apparent. It's obvious he has been completely brainwashed by the media. How do you deal with these fools? More and more of them around.

The eye cannot trespass........
You were doing nothing wrong. Not much different than standing on a public road looking at his "horses"

Rarely did I hear of anyone making assumptions of "spying" off the bat. Seems the difference came when the media started their campaign of lies and basically brainwashed the population into believing their sensationalist narrative.

No kidding - media spawned hysteria at it's very best regarding these units.....you are correct, rarely if ever did one hear of using the quads to 'spy". What changed.....simple one word answer, "media" - they will run with whatever they know the public wants to hear or doesn't want to hear. Now the association with "hobby drones" (for the most part) is negative to the extreme.

Case in point was your initial attempt to talk with that "horse guy" and you even referenced "my quad copter" to no avail - "no it's not it's a DRONE" - a big bad spying, horse thieving drone....lol - what's next, seems like a new negative narrative or association pops up daily.

Do ya think if these never had a camera attached to them.........there would still be the same publicity?

Hand held "pointing" lasers a few years back were the big "no-no" and there were endless reports by the media regarding laser beam sightings and being pointed at airline pilots during landing or take-off. That hysteria seems to have gone or at least dissipated somewhat! God help us if anyone has a laser attached to a quad while flying around.............eeek.

I can case his "ranch", count his horses and his gates, find a staging area for my trailer and darn near determine when he and his neighbors are home, just using google earth. No drone needed.

I have learned something from working/living in several countries.
The ones looking for trouble are SELDOM able to handle it.

Just be as nice as people will allow you to be to them until that time passes......

Reactions: JKDSensei
Does anyone remember 5 or 6 short years back, around 2010, when the whole FPV hobby was new and emerging. The word "drone" was rarely used in the media and only to refer to military strikes overseas. Whenever someone would be flying a quad FPV somewhere people almost always reacted positively with wonderment and curiosity. Rarely did I hear of anyone making assumptions of "spying" off the bat. Seems the difference came when the media started their campaign of lies and basically brainwashed the population into believing their sensationalist narrative.

I think it's the media demonizing them mostly.

OOPS....about 100 people already said that in this thread. My bad.

Media has gone from reporting events to trying to create readership.

I can case his "ranch", count his horses and his gates, find a staging area for my trailer and darn near determine when he and his neighbors are home, just using google earth. No drone needed.

No kidding eh - and to boot you won't "spook" the horses - stealth approached horse thieving -

"they hang horse thieves don't they" - kinda like they - "shoot down drones inspecting house gutters"!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl