Legal Background Sound On The Web?

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Just received my Vision2+ (and have not yet even taken it to the sky).

I'll get to my question, but I think it would be best to give a brief intro:
I admit to being a noob, but I do have some experience in related areas:

General R/C:
- Associated RC10 off-road competition (yes, I know RC10 is old school - that is why my son and I stayed with it).
- Fixed Wing, trainer-level, battery-powered flyer (crashed and easy to repair).
- A collection of indoor "helicopters" (3 channel).

General Photography:
- SLR stuff since the early 70's (I'm a Canon fanboy)
- Pretty good in the darkroom, but when kids and business reared their heads, I gave up the chemicals and paper.
- Fairly good with video - using semi-pro stuff since the 80's (Hitachi-Denshi/Panasonic/Sony). But who really cares about the brand.
- Not very experienced with the latest photo/video editing software (altho I have mostly used Adobe for pre-press tweaking).

DJI Flight/Aerial Photography:
- No experience. Just a wing and a prayer.
- Batteries are charging for our initial flight tomorrow (if it doesn't rain - I live in British Columbia).

So what the heck is my initial question????
I see many videos posted on the web and they mostly have audio backtracks.
The "perfect" audio certainly enhances video images.
How does one use the audio tracks?
Do we have to make arrangements, or pay a royalty, or just use the music, or what??

So .... That's my question.
Apologies for the long post, but this is my first post and I think you should know a bit about me.

This seems to be a very nice, supportive group.
Thank you for reading.

tp

-

geosky said:
Hello everyone!
Do we have to make arrangements, or pay a royalty, or just use the music, or what??

-

It depends on a number of things. Easiest one if you're planning to post on YouTube, when you upload there are options to add free audio tracks (quite a few to choose from) before you make your video public. The problem there is you have to take pot luck that the audio fits the video.

If you want to add audio during your editing you need to own the track or have a licence to use it. Generally, digital rights management (DRM) is a minefield. But if you own a CD with music on or you use something from your iTunes or other library. It's ok to add the track, but you should put some attribution on it so that the rights owner is mentioned (that's a personal choice).

I would suggest you have a look at commercial commons licencing and the various music sites that utilise that type of music usage rights.

Hope this helps

Bmews

It depends on a number of things. Easiest one if you're planning to post on YouTube, when you upload there are options to add free audio tracks (quite a few to choose from) before you make your video public. The problem there is you have to take pot luck that the audio fits the video.

If you want to add audio during your editing you need to own the track or have a licence to use it. Generally, digital rights management (DRM) is a minefield. But if you own a CD with music on or you use something from your iTunes or other library. It's ok to add the track, but you should put some attribution on it so that the rights owner is mentioned (that's a personal choice).

I would suggest you have a look at commercial commons licencing and the various music sites that utilise that type of music usage rights.

Hope this helps

Bmews

Thank you, Bmews!
I appreciate your reply.
And your advice.

I have some experience with DMR.

Owned/operated an entertainment service for 30+ years (until I woke up one day and thought - "enough").
I paid tens of thou$$$ to CRIA for digital music rights.
Eventually, it turned out that the CRIA "enforcer", (an ex-RCMP policeman) was the owner of the blank media company that was the only provider of the only "legal" recording media platform (in any format) that would allow anyone to duplicate any commercial song recording!
Of course he did not have the resources to go after any individual,
He attacked a music-business-person that he did not like (on a personal level). He destroyed him.

The legal trial was ugly.
The end result of that embarrassing, expensive confrontation with the CRIA, was that the CRIA acknowledged that individuals have the right to make a copy of purchased media. However,they would add a "recording levy" to the blank media (CDR).
A CDR in Canada now costs much more than a DVD, even though the latter has more digital capacity.

So ... .I purchase a commercial CD (with royalty fees built into the purchase price).
Then ..I then buy a recordable CD,which has a premium attached (which allows me to make a legal copy of my purchased, royalty-included CD).

So Then .... I seem to "own" the music and am able to attach the music onto any video I post to the web?
My question is probably rhetorical, I know.
So when I post my first video (with sound), you will all know that I have paid all public play royalties.

And yes, I am AR and dedicated to RTFM;

Bmews;
Thank you for your reply to my FIRST post to this forum.
I know that first-posters are often suspect on any forum.
You make me feel welcomed.

tp

We're forever learning. I'm sure there'll be far more knowledgeable folk than I who'll give you sound advice (pun intended).

:D

Nobody really reads the small print on a CD when you purchase it. There's normally a licence to make a legitimate copy for backup purposes. Youtube has automated systems to ascertain whether the music you're using is licenced however, these aren't always accurate so there may be some fine tuning required to settings etc.

Vimeo has introduced something similar.

lot's of trial and error.

I would suggest you make some brief forays into using the commercial commons stuff directly on YouTube and see how that works for some of your videos. Then look at how you place audio content whilst you're editing to make the imagery fit the music. Unless you're directly composing the music to fit the imagery.

All good fun and it keeps the old grey cells ticking over.

Enjoy the forum there's loads of helpful folk within. One thing I heartily recommend is to do as much reading and research as possible as it will do nothing but boost your confidence. Most of the answers to your questions are already on here (somewhere).

have fun

Bmews

geosky said:
Hello everyone!
Just received my Vision2+ (and have not yet even taken it to the sky).

I'll get to my question, but I think it would be best to give a brief intro:
I admit to being a noob, but I do have some experience in related areas:

General R/C:
- Associated RC10 off-road competition (yes, I know RC10 is old school - that is why my son and I stayed with it).
- Fixed Wing, trainer-level, battery-powered flyer (crashed and easy to repair).
- A collection of indoor "helicopters" (3 channel).

General Photography:
- SLR stuff since the early 70's (I'm a Canon fanboy)
- Pretty good in the darkroom, but when kids and business reared their heads, I gave up the chemicals and paper.
- Fairly good with video - using semi-pro stuff since the 80's (Hitachi-Denshi/Panasonic/Sony). But who really cares about the brand.
- Not very experienced with the latest photo/video editing software (altho I have mostly used Adobe for pre-press tweaking).

DJI Flight/Aerial Photography:
- No experience. Just a wing and a prayer.
- Batteries are charging for our initial flight tomorrow (if it doesn't rain - I live in British Columbia).

So what the heck is my initial question????
I see many videos posted on the web and they mostly have audio backtracks.
The "perfect" audio certainly enhances video images.

So .... That's my question.
Apologies for the long post, but this is my first post and I think you should know a bit about me.

This seems to be a very nice, supportive group.
Thank you for reading.

tp

-

I am a Youbute Forum TC it is NOT ok to use music from a CD you bought without Broadcast Rights from The copyrights owner.

Making a copy of a CD is very far away from uploading it on YT. They have nothing to do with each other. I could not count how many channels have been given a lifetime bans for doing that very same thing.
Plus if you ever get a hit video which could bring in thousand of dollars. You will make zero if you don't own the rights to everything. Sure you may luck out and just have them put ads on your video that you will make nothing from.

Best thing to do is use music you have permission to use. There is a lot of it around.

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+mu ... channel=sb

http://freemusicarchive.org/curator/creative_commons/

TexasHighDef said:
[I am a Youbute Forum TC it is NOT ok to use music from a CD you bought without Broadcast Rights from The copyrights owner.

Making a copy of a CD is very far away from uploading it on YT. They have nothing to do with each other. I could not count how many channels have been given a lifetime bans for doing that very same thing.
Plus if you ever get a hit video which could bring in thousand of dollars. You will make zero if you don't own the rights to everything. Sure you may luck out and just have them put ads on your video that you will make nothing from.

Best thing to do is use music you have permission to use. There is a lot of it around.

Thanks for the clarification. See? learn something new everyday. :)

BMEWS said:
TexasHighDef said:
[I am a Youbute Forum TC it is NOT ok to use music from a CD you bought without Broadcast Rights from The copyrights owner.

Thanks for the clarification. See? learn something new everyday. :)

Sure thing!
Here is something to think about. All you need to do is be monetizing your videos and get about 400-500,000 views and Youtube will send you a check that will be more then enough to pay for you whole set up.

Thank you to everyone for your understanding, knowledgeable, supportive replies.
Although I have duplication and public play rights, I do not have broadcast rights.
Makes sense in the overall scheme of things. :(

I will certainly investigate the links that have been posted (and maybe spend more time practicing guitar so I can create my own music).

Cheers,
tp

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj