Left Stick Down to turn off, mid flight

Reaction score
Hello,

I got a phantom 2 vision+ the other day and i've been flying it around. When the phantom has landed I hold the left stick all the way down for 3 seconds to turn it off (stop the rotors spinning), as the manual instructs. If I am descending during a flight and happen to hold the left stick all the way down for 3 seconds will the phantom turn off in mid air? Or does the phantom know when it is on the ground?

The same question applies to holding both sticks to the bottom corners on the remote control (This is used to turn on and off the rotors spinning). I haven't found an answer to this online.

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks for the reply!!
The phantom must know when it is on the ground then?

And regarding the CSC, I just have to make sure that I don't do a flight manoeuvre that involves moving both control sticks to the bottom corners?

rcwhiteley said:
And regarding the CSC, I just have to make sure that I don't do a flight manoeuvre that involves moving both control sticks to the bottom corners?

Fortunately that would be such an odd maneuver you would be unlikely to perform it. Full down, max right yaw, full reverse with max left bank. Trying to visualize the result of that combination...lol.

Note: if you move to naza mode there are FOUR methods to accidentally do a CSC shutdown. Be careful

The phantom must know when it is on the ground then?

When altitude is same and holding down left stick for 3 secs will shut the motors off.
Otherwise we won't be able to catch land.

The down stick for 3 secs whilst decending will never shut the motors off. They would be a major design flaw.

The down stick for 3 secs whilst decending will never shut the motors off. They would be a major design flaw.

My phantom 2 vision for some reason didnt get the memo and does exactly that if I pull down the left stick for 3 seconds it shuts off the motors just like if it is already on the ground or caught by hand. Its vexing me why and cant fly it till I can figure out what the problem is. and starting to think the altimeter or some thing else in the naza controller is busted and it not knowing its descending at all.

J.James said:

My phantom 2 vision for some reason didnt get the memo and does exactly that if I pull down the left stick for 3 seconds it shuts off the motors just like if it is already on the ground or caught by hand. Its vexing me why and cant fly it till I can figure out what the problem is. and starting to think the altimeter or some thing else in the naza controller is busted and it not knowing its descending at all.
You mean it dropped out of the sky with the motors off?

You mean it dropped out of the sky with the motors off?

Not yet cause its so messed up it i hasn't let it even attempt to go up more then a few feet off the ground.

Tho it did fall out of the sky on its past owner on its first flight. But that was from a faulty "smart" battery giving it a false non dji battery reading and it flipped out and crashed hard.

When you are holding the throttle all the way down (full descent) in flight, the other sticks are disabled. You have to very slightly release the throttle stick upward
in order to control pitch and roll.

For some of you people that think that holding left stick all the way down in flight will NOT shut your Phantom2 vision plus off, you are wrong! I have a detached and broken camera to prove it and I will not be flying my phantom again until I sort this out. Please let me know if anybody has a solution for this very, very, very annoying problem. I have flown it over 50 times before and have never had this issue until last night.

I learned the hard way if you are hovering then pull left stick all the way down IT WILL shut down the motors.

Be careful!!!

Is not suspose to shut off. If it does their is something else wrong as some controllers even have a detent lock to lock the throttle in the down position. Mine does and I use it all the time to bring her down never had a motor shut off till she is on the ground and halts decent. Those that shut off before landing are having problems with the hardware. Most likely the Barometric Altimeter ( altimeter pressure sensor) is the culprit.

Reactions: Raja777m
The following is my understanding from what I've read somewhere - maybe on here.

Holding the throttle all the way down will not necessarily shut off the motors. The Vision (+) is designed to drop down at 2 meters per second with the stick all the way down. However, if the phantom has landed, or you catch it, or you land it on top of a hill or roof or car top or whatever, the motors will slow down and shut off. How? It's not the altimeter reading because it works on roofs and on top of hills. It's the sensors inside the phantom. When the phantom is trying to drop and senses it is not dropping, it senses that it has effectively landed and shuts down. So, if you're hovering and throw the left stick down all the way and this happens to coincide with some kind of wacky updraft, the phantom would sense it is not moving down, it thinks it has landed, so it would then proceed to slow down and stop the motors. That would explain the motors shutting off in mid flight. I suspect this isn't such a problem on a P1 since the P1 has a faster drop rate, I believe.

Anyway, it's generally a bad idea to drop straight down anyway due to the increased risk of VRS, especially if you're up high. Coming down at an angle is probably a good habit to get into. Or if you must come straight down, coming down at half speed would be safer. But if you're coming down at an angle, don't try to rotate your bird while you do it because you'll be increasing the risk of CSC.

Reactions: Raja777m
It has been discussed numerous times regarding the left stick only motor shut off.

Sensor fusion on the P2 is not fully understood but there's no reason the altimeter cannot provide the required information to determine if it has landed or not.

The exact elevation or altitude is not important just that it is no longer descending and yes the accelerometer could also provide similar information.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl