Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. GMack

Can't believe my second P4 has yet another problem, and neither has hit the air yet.

Was looking at a photo and I thought, "Hmm... The left side looks less sharp than the right side." Found my old Edmund Scientific AF Chart and shot it.

Yep, the **** thing seems less sharp on the left side than the right which is pretty sharp considering how close it is to the target in 16:9 format (Maybe 2-3 feet.). I can read the text on the right half of the chart, but not the left side. The barrel distortion I can live with and maybe fix in post in Lightroom or Photoshop.

This one also pops up a "Lost Signal" a lot for some reason too.

Grrrr!!!!

Mack-

Attached Files:

2. Dacon Productions

Is a cheap, low quality, flying camera. My Samsung Note 5 is a LOT better than DJI's camera on P4.

3. GMack

DJI support saw the pics and they are doing a RMA to fix it. Sensor is off the optical center of the lens (i.e. Lens is not perpendicular to the sensor.). More telling is the sharper upper right at a two foot distance that will likely not be best for infinity either with the DOF with a f/2.8 lens. Could be at infinity, the right may be softer if whomever - or whatever - put this assembly together poorly.

I found some online videos of someone who shows taking the P4 camera apart to install a telephoto lens, but appears the lens screws into a sensor unit so no adjustment can be made (factory lens is glued in place in the threads to lock focus.). On a DSLR body, they can shim the bayonet for this sort of matter.

I was sort of surprised they ran past their USA 5PM West coast time too on a Friday. We'll see what develops come Monday.

I could have taken it back to Best Buy for a third unit, but since the two priors both needed to come forward a few firmware versions it could be a QC issue too they may have resolved since they may have sat for a long time at BB. Hopefully they might have a feel for the matter by now. My old Canon 5DII had a similar issue with L/R focus when new too so this seemed like I was revisiting that mess, albeit aware of the matter too. Some camera repair guy told me a good tech probably could find something wrong with anything if they looked for it. How many slip through QC, or their tolerance, is another matter.

Mack-