Leaving phantom in the cold

Reaction score
Is it good to leave a phantom 3 in the cold i w as gonna take it with me somewhere but when done flying will have to leave it in the car temp will be around minus 3 to plus 3 i know to keep the batteries warm before i fly im mainly concerned about after flying will it hurt the battery to sit in the cold

Last edited:
Is it good to leave a phantom 3 in the cold i w as gonna take it with me somewhere but when done flying will have to leave it in the car temp will be around minus 3 to plus 3
That is a great question! Waiting to hear the answer from some of the arctic crew.

After I buzz around the city on my SpYder RS-S in 0*C with my Phantom 3 Pro' in the hard shell back pack. When I get to the area to fly, I just pocket my batteries for a bit, then take off. Noticed slightly shorter flight times, but everything works just fine. The batteries are only mildly warm after a good run. The latest rich Go app and firmware may also have something to do with this awesome "cool" phenomenon. ;-)
I will check my actual battery temps in the app, next time out there.
The thing that does get cold, are my ten prodigious digits.
Eleven actually if you count that other one, yeah my nose. Hahaha
image.jpeg

Check out this awesome white bear.
image.jpeg

Snip snip. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

After I buzz around the city on my SpYder RS-S in 0*C with my Phantom 3 Pro' in the hard shell back pack. When I get to the area to fly, I just pocket my batteries for a bit, then take off. Noticed slightly shorter flight times, but everything works just fine. The batteries are only mildly warm after a good run. The latest rich Go app and firmware may also have something to do with this awesome "cool" phenomenon. ;-)
I will check my actual battery temps in the app, next time out there.
The thing that does get cold, are my ten prodigious digits.
Eleven actually if you count that other one, yeah my nose. Hahaha
View attachment 37166
Check out this awesome white bear.
View attachment 37167
Snip snip. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
So is that your handiwork on the bear?

No, mine would be made from leather. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: bobmyers
Was gonna find ya a leather bear and post it and goggle'd that....Boy that was a mistake :)
Ain't got ya no leather bear picture but that white one is nice you posted .

Just How Furry was It? ;-)

image.jpeg

Too funny. . . Hahaha

RedHotPoker

"No More Stickers on Face"

image.png

Said the Phantom. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I'm interested in the answer to the question about the cold. My wife has forced me to move all my "drone stuff" to the garage. And its not -3 by a long shot but still a little chilly in there. I'm wondering if I should move it back to the kitchen table where it was lol.

I keep a lot of gear in my garage/studio and I keep a heater in the room on low to keep the temps at 58f. That's fine for most anything. Anything lower than 55 though seems too cold, to me at least, lol. Probably 50 degrees is fine but no lower, imo.

I keep a lot of gear in my garage/studio and I keep a heater in the room on low to keep the temps at 58f. That's fine for most anything. Anything lower than 55 though seems too cold, to me at least, lol. Probably 50 degrees is fine but no lower, imo.
Heater is a great idea.

Mine has been stored below 0 F and flies fine. Even the batteries warm up quickly on their own once in flight. Ice cold battery comes out warm to the touch at end of flight.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
thanks for all the responses, came to the conclusion that dont think it should hurt it any as long as my batteries are fairly warm when I put them in, shouldnt hurt the bird none thou I dont think, we are having a great winter this year next to nothing for snow and in the pluses like plus 2 or 3, way beter then last year at this time with minus 32

If you check the @dji website you will notice they changed the operating temperature spread for the Phantom 3 intelligent flight battery. It used to be 0*C~40*C. Now it's -10*C~40*C.
Yet the Phantom 3 radio controller and my iPad Air 2 are both rated for 0*C~40*C.

Those are optimal ratings, and not set in stone for the extremists amongst us. ;-)

Go fly.

RedHotPoker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers