leaving gimbal protector on by mistake

Reaction score
Turned on week old drone.
Realized gimbal protector left on by mistake. (first time this mistake)
Did this cause calibration or other issues?
Drone operated OK in BeginnerMode afterwards.
Gimbal acted OK, AFAICT. (am novice)

I think everyone on this forum has done it at some stage. I did it the once and crapped myself but no issues with the camera or controls. Get a red ribbon and tie it to the gimbal guard and put a warning sticker on the drone to remind you next time. You'll only do it the once....

Thanks. Relieved.
It would be enlightening if anyone
were to report they left gimbal guard on
& immediately afterwards there was problem X.
(so others could check for that problem)
If no one has ever experienced problem from doing so, it
infers that doing it causes no problems, no worries...

Plenty of unboxing videos where the vlogger has forgotten to remove the gimbal cover before powering up. Actually one of the best things I learned from watching YouTube while waiting for my P4P+ to arrive. I think you'll be fine as long as you don't make it a habit --- I'm not sure what the resistance to the gimbal motion will do the the motors over repeated occurrences.

New P4P owner here. Seem to have done it since I've bought it and flown t since I've bought it 30 days ago( probably been up 10-15xs). . No harm so far. Going to implement the red ribbon tho, just in case.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Plenty of unboxing videos where the vlogger has forgotten to remove the gimbal cover before powering up. Actually one of the best things I learned from watching YouTube while waiting for my P4P+ to arrive. I think you'll be fine as long as you don't make it a habit --- I'm not sure what the resistance to the gimbal motion will do the the motors over repeated occurrences.

Can't tell you how many times I've done it accidentally... freak out each time, but works just fine. And I have the red ribbon on it. Sad.
I too am in AZ. Central

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

A friend of mine took one look at my Phantom 4 Pro in the air and after asking me all sorts of questions about it said, "that's it, I want one". So, he bought one from Amazon and in a few weeks he had it in his hands. At the first opportunity and after reading all the manual and other related paperwork like I told him to, and calling me a dozen times before his first flight, he went out and flew it in his back yard for only about "four or five minutes" he said.

Well, he called me right after that first flight and told me he thinks he screwed up. After a very short time he told me that he'd forgotten to remove that "two legged plastic thingy" off the camera. Apparently it didn't do the camera or gimbal any harm as he landed it, took off the guard and flew it again with no harm at all. The camera and gimbal working perfectly I assume because he came over later that day to show me the video he took later that afternoon.

I think he was very lucky he didn't burn out the gimbal motor and the only saving grace was, I believe, is that he wasn't recording any video at that time he left the guard on. He just wanted to fly it for the experience. Perhaps that's why it didn't do any harm but that's a sure hard way to learn isn't it?

Anyway, I thought ya'll would get a kick out of his story, and that "two legged plastic thingy."

Bud
ps
This is one thing I think that DJI could address with firmware. For example, if the gimbal couldn't initiate, then the Phantom shouldn't be able to take off. Would that be a good idea for them to implement since it seems that a lot of new Phantom owners run into this very same issue quite a lot it seems.

> very lucky he didn't burn out the gimbal motor

Engineers!
Is that possible?
Has that ever happened?
(gimbal broken due to guard error)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20