Learn from my mistake: Don't skip Pre-Flight Check

Reaction score
I didn't tighten all screws and nuts before a flight last night and a blade came off while it was about 20 meters above pavement with a pretty good forward velocity going. I felt like NTSA while doing my grid search of the crash. I found my GoPro (mount snapped off in-flight due to stress of abrupt change of direction), then the battery, then the SD card, then the blade. Never did find the blade fastener nut (new ones on order).

Good news is the aircraft itself is fine.

Upon closer inspection I also realized that my landing gear screws were coming out. I will be checking all those fasteners before plugging in the battery before each flight now.

globalcop said:
I didn't tighten all screws and nuts before a flight last night and a blade came off while it was about 20 meters above pavement with a pretty good forward velocity going. I felt like NTSA while doing my grid search of the crash. I found my GoPro (mount snapped off in-flight due to stress of abrupt change of direction), then the battery, then the SD card, then the blade. Never did find the blade fastener nut (new ones on order).

Good news is the aircraft itself is fine.

Upon closer inspection I also realized that my landing gear screws were coming out. I will be checking all those fasteners before plugging in the battery before each flight now.

I'll 2nd that!

While doing a check-up/prop balance today (using Loctite to fasten things together this time),
I looked at the underneath, and sure enough, one of my landing gear screws was missing! (thankfully the copter came with extras)
and even the GoPro mount screws needed a bit more tightening.

Where were you able to order the replacement blade fastener nut?

The screws already have lock tight on them when you get it, so why should they come off again? I know mine already came with Lock Tight, as they had the blue Lock Tight already on them. You got to be careful, plastic does not like Lock Tight.

I cannot quite explain how it came out (unless I missed installing it in the first place).
The screw that I used might not have had much LocTite on it to begin with.

I assembled mine tonight and it indeed had LocTite on all the screws. I may have to pick some up for the prop nuts though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj