Law enforcement and drones

250 grand for a drone, lol.. It had FLIR? Big deal, you can buy a Phantom 2 vision with FLIR for 3 grand that would probably be 90% as capable as what they bought for 250 large.. Talk about wasting taxpayer money

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
It usually takes more than 250k to repair/overhaul a FLIR on a real bird like most LEAs use.

Does anyone know where I can get info on Police using drones. Do they need special clearencee from the FAA? Im educating a group of officers on what to buy and flying instructions. I will most likely use my p4, inspire and a big octocopter in demonstration and lecture.
Thanks
The FAA does indeed need to issue permits to law enforcement and other government or municipal users of UAS'. Check this out Public Operations (Governmental)

Yes I know - but why?
It won't be long before FLIR will be standard on your mobile phone. There is already a phone out with it!
Budget padding. Here it is $450,000 line item to overhaul FLIR on a Bell Jet Ranger. It's all about the money.........
7 million for a new Taj mahal Police Station, another joke...... I went to the Cop Shop Saturday(10 minutes from the 7 million dollar one) in a town of 200,000 and the door was locked, nobody home and a phone to use to contact central dispatch.
$180+million dollar annual budget and no one home.

There are three categories of aviation operations in the U.S: Private, commercial, and public. I think you know what the first two are. Public aviation, although oddly named, is government leasing, owning, and operating aircraft. Military, police, federal wildfire ops etc.

Start Googling "public aviation" and "FAA."

SB

I hope this question doesn't sound too negative.
Shouldn't someone giving a seminar to Law Enforcement about drone use do more research than coming to the Phantom Pilots forum for info? Seems like one would start with the FAA.

Hey big al...what kind of hoops to jump thru? How can a police agency that flies a helo around with FLIR and night sun looking for bad guys, cant fly a drone doing the same thing? Curious....

You should be answering the questions not asking them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31