Launching from truck bed?

Reaction score
Would launching from and landing on the tonneau cover (hard type) of my truck be ok? Not sure because of the metal and electronics of the vehicle. Would it affect the compass ? Thanks.

I have done that but i calibrated the compass in a open area first then picked it up and put on the fiberglass tonneau cover..took off and landed with no issues

You might get compass error as soon as you power up.

Big lump of metal.

I would not recommend it.

Reactions: TnHwyman
You might get compass error as soon as you power up.

Big lump of metal.

I would not recommend it.
This can happen. It happened to me. Fastest and shortest flight I ever had. 39 mph straight across the back yard and into the neighbor's trampoline netting, then down to the ground upside down still wide open. I got lucky with no major unit damage, but I learned my lesson well.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Being on top of a non-metallic cover of the truck means that you're still pretty darned close to a large metal object, the truck. I wouldn't risk it.

It works. Have done it. I get "Compass Error" immediately at power up and I get it as I land. Once I am a few feet above or away from the truck, all is well.

What is your reason for doing so? I only used it when there was not any other choice (snow cover or extreme dust for example). For me, its a last resort. A simple piece of cardboard on the ground makes a nice launch pad.

Another good solution for launching on ground with snow, dirt, sand, etc. is a car sun-shade such as this one. These are the cheaper ones that are separate left / right window. Ones that cover both windows are too big. With this one, only one side has the strap to twist-close it to a small enough shape to store on your case/back-pack (which solves the issue of carrying around a funky piece of cardboard).

You photographers that can afford to re-purpose a collapsible reflector like these already are equipped for a mobile launch pad.

Reactions: WetDog
Launching for a metal platform or a cover over a metal platform (your truck) is a a very bad idea. The compass is highly vulnerable to nearby metal objects.

I've done it off my tonneau as well but not I just hand launch and hand catch. Easier that any other way and u don't ever touch the ground!

Sent from my PT beating heart

I've landed on my truck bed cover a couple of time to see how it worked. No problems, but not going to do it any more. Too much expensive equipment involved...it's a soft cover so a tip over probably would do a little shredding.

Landing near metal would be the least bad. Calibrating near metal is pretty much a guaranteed crash. Taking off near metal is not a guaranteed crash but you increase your odds dramatically. Not worth the risk.

Heck, I got a compass error from taking off from a sidewalk. Must have been rebar or mesh or something cause my bird did NOT like it once it took flight. Worst of all, a compass error will throw you into atti mode so you better be prepared to fly it manually. In wind it goes bye bye. Recent firmware notes indicated they made the compass more sensitive to errors. I think it was 1.7 and for sure carried over to 1.8. The error in flight is not fun and I will not be making such a mistake again. And that would include your scenario too.

90% of all of my flights have been from and to the aluminum slat tonneau cover on my F250. Compass calibrated away from truck and any metals. Never a problem and always clean air conditions without dust, rocks or debris.

I must be a rebel to conventional thought - I also run a car tire on the rear of my motorcycle.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
90% of all of my flights have been from and to the aluminum slat tonneau cover on my F250. Compass calibrated away from truck and any metals. Never a problem and always clean air conditions without dust, rocks or debris.

I must be a rebel to conventional thought - I also run a car tire on the rear of my motorcycle.
Yes. As said, once you take off away from the truck/car the compass operates normally and all is well. As long as you get a GOOD compass cal away from metal you don't have to worry about taking off near steel or other metal. The compass error is temporary and a non issue.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik