Launching from moving boat

Reaction score
I think I should ask before tying.

From what I assume, as soon as th P4 is flying, in P or S modes, it begins to hover using GPS above its launch location, until directed elsewhere by the controller.

So, if I take off from a moving boat, will the Phantom immediately try to "hover" and the boat will move out from under it? Shooting towards aft (rear) of the boat?

if I take off from a moving boat, will the Phantom immediately try to "hover" and the boat will move out from under it? Shooting towards aft (rear) of the boat?
Yes.

I'm not sure how well the aircraft will initialize while in motion but as stated above if you launch while it's moving it's going to stabilize (or try to) on that specific location. I've landed on a moving boat but only launched from a stationary boat.

Reactions: Drestin Black
I might add that the compass might be affected by nearby metal objects so that's something to be aware of if its anything like the P3.

To those in the know, am I correct?

I might add that the compass might be affected by nearby metal objects so that's something to be aware of if its anything like the P3.

To those in the know, am I correct?
Started few times from a 12m fishing boat and had to find place whre the compass wasnt affected. Worked well then.

The boat I was on that I shot this (my 5th flight ever) is 54 feet long and two levels, and had 8 large speakers on it at all corners blasting at full volume. I was able to take off from almost any surface. I caught it on landings. No Audio because got tired of fighting YouTube over copyrighted material. Going to have him stop before launching then do some Active Track shots after, and expect to just catch by hand for landing.

It should lift and full brakes to hover in air. You'd have to be in sport mode with a little help from a tail or head wind lol

Remember the internet discussions from almost 10 years ago about a plan taking off on a conveyor belt... as the plane moves forward, the belt moves 'magically' in the opposite direction. Would the plant ever be able to take off? lol

Here's what I learned the hard way from boat launches. Launches were done from bow of 36' trawler moving relatively slow - 10mph or so. Had some successive and one massive failure.

1. It's a helluva rush and you can get some great marsh shots that are not obtainable from a land based launch.
2. Compass calibration can be tricky with railings, pump motors, and very big chunk of steel in the engine compartment.
2. After launch the boat continues to moves forward. Drone Stays put trailing in the boat's wake at relatively low altitude.
Until...
3. Controller was blocked by pilot house and connectivity was lost. Auto RTH initiated to a very wet home point. Splash.

What an idiot.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Remember the internet discussions from almost 10 years ago about a plan taking off on a conveyor belt... as the plane moves forward, the belt moves 'magically' in the opposite direction. Would the plant ever be able to take off? lol
Ignore all the distracting issues with belt directions etc. If the plane is moving forward fast enough to reach take off AIRSPEED the plane will fly.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
How do you set a home point that is NOT automatically reset
The home point is always reset when you start up your Phantom. After that point, you can manually reset the home point at the top of the "Main Controller Settings" section of DJI GO. You'll see options to set the home point to the Phantom's current location or your current location. The latter requires a GPS receiver on your mobile device.

You cannot set a home point where the quad will not land in an emergency. That was my take-away. Home points over the top of water are foolish, no matter what you quad may be sitting on at the time. Again, that was my take-away.

So, what they suggest in the video won't work?
I'm not sure which part of the video you're referring to. Keep in mind they are talking about a Phantom 2.

The prime suggestion they had was to set a home position somewhere on land, make sure to take off even for just a moment "to lock home in" and then if, on subsequent flights it returns to home automatically it would go to that point on land.
But, apparently, current versions of the Go app set the home point every time it powers up

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The prime suggestion they had was to set a home position somewhere on land, make sure to take off even for just a moment "to lock home in" and then if, on subsequent flights it returns to home automatically it would go to that point on land.
But, apparently, current versions of the Go app set the home point every time it powers up

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Wasn't my read.
I thought the prime suggestion was to get a bikini model...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4