Launching from indoors or balcony?

Reaction score
I am currently staying in a condo unit on the water. 5th Floor large balcony. I also want to launch from a boat. What mode do fly in. Will boat motor potentially screw up compass causing phantom to flip.

What are the risks to the phantom while flying indoors.

You can fly indoor in ATTI mode because you don't have enough number of satellite.
However, many claimed that even with one floor above they could still fly in GPS mode.
I've seen videos of many taking off from the running boat with no ill effects.
Note that the home position is VOID when you take off from the running boat!

You can always set GPS mode, but if there're not enough satellite then it automatically switch you to ATTI mode.

Not all that safe to fly from a balcony but it's been done. Also, many boats have powerful communications gear and radar gear... the bigger the boat, the more likely it will be. Be careful around these potential forms of interference.

I'm no radio expert but there have been many post on interference issues flying around marinas and boats in general. They may have a variety of signals emanating from them like WIFI, GPS, and all internal combustion engines--cars, trucks, real airplanes and many trains--are spark gap generators. They do not transmit any one frequency, but they can mask whatever frequency you are transmitting on. If a jumbo jet or military fighter flies over the area where you are flying your RC airplane, or even if a train goes by, your signal can be masked long enough to crash your RC. Maybe someone with radio expertise will comment here to clarify.

You can fly of a balcony, ..but it might be tricky if it enters failsafe , as it will either land on the roof or perhaps try to land on ground (which might take awhile if it returns to home 60ft+5 floors high and then tries to land.

As for the boat, the Phantom will not flip if the compass itself gets thrown a loop, (the compass only works on direction the Phantom is pointing).
but play it safe, taking off from a boat and flying over water poses obvious risks.
-and the risk of complete loss of gear if you're not careful.

I've launched from patios, balconies and it's ok as long as you stay in sight line with quad. If you need to move which means entering a building momentarily to go outside not only will you lose visual your radio signal will drop and trigger return to home, or worse. It works, but adds risk to the flight. I've flow inside lots. Also challenging with no GPS, lots if turbulence and no prop guards.

Mori55 said:
Is it just me,? I think launching off balcony is just plain stupid and asking for trouble.

You have 470 posts and you're calling people stupid?

What if it's not getting good gps lock ? What if it enters failsafe and misses the balcony , crashes in the building? Is there other balconys there like apartments ? That's what I was worried about.
If its your own house , I could care less.
Just lately there's been to many post of people doing stupid things with these.
If its your place without other people around , then I apologize.

Fyi I tried this on vacation and um, crashed :). Luckily only 2 props destroyed but no other damage as it was ground level with just balcony overhang.

Let the pilot beware. I didn't attempt it again :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub