launching from and landing on a small (20') boat

Reaction score
Would like to use the PV2 from small boat. Assume the boat engine off and boat relatively stable (drifting-minimal roll and pitch). Hand launch-catch? Has anyone attempted? Counsel appreciated

Thx

unless you are beached or have a stern and bow anchor, do not attempt a RTH. It will land where the boat was when it took off which is usually not where the boat is when it tries to land.

Ksc said:
unless you are beached or have a stern and bow anchor, do not attempt a RTH. It will land where the boat was when it took off which is usually not where the boat is when it tries to land.

Ewwww... Good point. :shock:

I fly from my boat and found the easiest way was to hand release and catch. It was always to windy to launch and land from the boat surface, also the movement of the boat can be a fair bit even if it doesn't feel like it. I have no flat surface free of obstacles so any movement would result in a crash.

I had planned to always takeoff from dry land in case a RTH was needed but it was impractical in most cases so I just kept in mind that at any time I may have to chase the PV2 in the boat to regain control

I've been practicing a lot with hand release and catch for my 30' boot.
As the roof of my boat is covered with solar panels it's the only way of doing it this way :/

The boat is out of the water at the moment (winter), but will be testing it in real life as soon as it's back in the water again

Greenline-33.jpg

Cause it's the girls sunbathing area..

Seriously. It's not really flat (except the window), and it actually looks bigger than it is!

Thanks for all the replies...

Looks like the hand launch and catch is the way to go.

I'll pratice on land starting with
stationary open field launch-catch, then from back of slowly moving
pickup.

Flights will be over salt water so if I miss the catch, I'll be out ~$1300.
That in mind, it'll be pratice, practice and more practice before using the
technique over the Pacific.

Quick question...has anyone tried attaching floats to the PV2 skids just in case
one misses the catch?

Thanks again for the help

I do not think that attaching floats to the P2V skids will not work well.
A tiny wave will tip it over....

Hand catching:
If you get a neck strap for the RC you will find than hand catching is really easy.

Start with bringing the P2V eye height, walk towards the P2V and grab the skid with your right hand.
Use the left hand to shutdown the P2V (left stick down)

When you feel comfortable with this move, you can skip the "walk toward the P2V" part.
Bring the P2V as close as possible and just reach for it.

Hand launching: (a bit more tricky, but also easy)
Put the P2V on the deck, and do the usual stuff when getting ready for a normal launch except starting the props.
When the P2V is ready to fly (GPS okay, WiFi okay) pick it up at the skid with your right hand, and hold it in front of you.
Now the tricky part. Use your left hand and start the P2V (I've got big hands and can do this with my thumb and index finger)
When the props are running, and ready for takeoff, use your left hand to throttle up.

I always tilde the P2V a littler bit away from me when hand launching.
For hand launching you will need a neck strap.

Not sure how good you are in RC, but the best way of doing all the above moves are with the back of the P2V facing you.
Why?? If you suddenly need to move it, left is left, right is right etc....

you're going to love the photos/videos from a boat.. such a great perspective! it is unnerving at first over saltwater but that excitement makes it rewarding when you don't dunk it!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eP-80T7nbA[/youtube]

Just be sure to dbl check your satellite acquisitions just prior to hand launching. I have noted signal distortion / loss from time of picking up off ground to hand launching (7 or 6 satellites down to 0!)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20