Launch with 4 satellites locked

Reaction score
I recently went to a spot where I could only lock onto 4 sats and not being familiar with Naza mode and lots of trees around, I ditched the idea.
Now I would really like to go back to the spot and try again, but I need to know what to expect after takeoff.
The spot is in a deep but narrow valley with tall trees around, that's probably why I can't get more satellites. Although I will be flying up so I expect that more will lock in within 3 minutes or so.

Advice is much appreciated.

It would be the equivilant as flying in atti mode, it'll tend to drift and not hover exactly in place.

EMCSQUAR said:
It would be the equivilant as flying in atti mode, it'll tend to drift and not hover exactly in place.

Agreed!

Has anyone done this a number of times? I have some filming locations that won't get enough satellites before take off but will get them once above the ground level obstacles. I would like to use GPS when aloft but I have concerns about it getting a weak fix and then flying off in one direction as that fix improves and the Phantom thinking it's in the wrong place.

Looking for real world experience with this.

I have on several occasions taken off without full lock and then gotten the rapid flashing lights when I'm a few meters up in the air and clear of obstacles. I've even tested RTH in those cases (at short range before flying off long range) and it basically worked... I say basically because it came pretty much back overhead where I resumed control... I never let RTH actually LAND I just take control back and catch it.

anyway if you're concerned about where your home-point lock is, once you get up in the air and get the rapid green flashes (or see # of sats locked on FPV) you can always do the home-point reset procedure to define a new home point... just do that procedure from overhead where it can see enough sats

Great, thanks everyone! I'll try it out and report back.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic