Launch pads?

Reaction score
How do you guys tend to launch your phantoms?

I've read and heard that it's best not to launch off the ground because prop wash can cause dirt to get into the motors and such.

For that reason, I've been launching off a cooler that I carry around with me:

81HKGuCWS3L._SL1500_.jpg

However, as you can imagine, it's a pretty cumbersome thing to carry around.

When I go backpacking in Canada this summer I am looking for a more portable solution.

I've thought about hand launching, but would prefer not to, if possible. :D

I use my case and once in awhile I will hand launch :shock:

I use grass.... the kind on the ground, I don't bring it with me.

Have you tried just cutting open a box and using that? Fold it up and take it with you. You might try cutting it into sections and then taping it together with Duct tape so that it folds more easily. Much better things to us then an entire cooler just to launch.

750r said:
I use my case and once in awhile I will hand launch :shock:
:shock: Hadn't tried that yet !

You may want to experiment with your sleeping pad.

Watch out for lightweight stuff like cardboard.
I've done it from a flattened washing machine box with rocks holding it down. That worked really well.
The wind I was worried about in that case was not made by the Phantom.

If you take off from cardboard, I would go straight up in haste.
I did lift off from regular lightweight cardboard once and scooted away at about 1 foot high.
Scared the crap out of me when the air got under the cardboard... :shock:

I've considered using a milk crate. The air will pass through the crate reducing any ground effect forces.
I really think the crate would be best for landing. Ground effect makes touchdown difficult for me.

Attachments

• Green_Milk_Crate.jpg
    Green_Milk_Crate.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 795
I intend one getting one of these vinyl floor tiles:

laying-vinyl-x.jpg

...and maybe attaching it to a square of solid, heavy timber.

A friend once loaned me his styrofoam launch pad, it was about a foot square and an inch thick. As I quickly wound up the throttle and leaped off the pad, it was blown into the air and clipped a prop. I used the short grass after that. ;)

Thanks Narrator, I was hoping I wasn't the only one. :D

NickCopter said:

I've read and heard that it's best not to launch off the ground because prop wash can cause dirt to get into the motors and such.

81HKGuCWS3L._SL1500_.jpg

When I go backpacking in Canada this summer I am looking for a more portable solution.

I takeoff from the grass, dirt, asphalt, base ball infield, gravel driveway, packed snow or where ever it's fairly level. I have never had a problem with the motors from launching from any surface.

tcope said:
I use grass.... the kind on the ground, I don't bring it with me.

Have you tried just cutting open a box and using that? Fold it up and take it with you. You might try cutting it into sections and then taping it together with Duct tape so that it folds more easily. Much better things to us then an entire cooler just to launch.

I have been using a small cardboard box, about the size of a shoebox which folds flat and fits in my backpack. I do this because I tend to fly in an area where there is are no objects to take off from (mainly marshland and water) and my vTX antenna is fitted so that it hangs down below the legs. The box takes 5-10s to assemble or to fold flat. I have not had a problem with wind, but dont fly when it is gusty anyway.

I use the GoProfessional Case that it is carried in. I then use the same case as a seat to sit on while flying it. Triple duty from one item.
I've landed on it too, but generally just hand catch it. I usually only land on the box when people say, "I bet you can't land it on the box"
They're very disappointed when I make it look easy.

I use a C-Gear pic-nic mat to launch from when on sand or dusty areas.It's made of several layers of mesh like shade screen and it stops any dust from blowing up on take off and landing.
The military use them on helipads to do the same job in deserts and such.Bigger version but the same construction.
The one I use is about 6' by 3 1/2'.
You can get a good look at it at the start and end of this video of mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qz5hvzW9FE
Search for C-Gear mats on ebay or google to find them.

Ezookiel said:
I use the GoProfessional Case that it is carried in. I then use the same case as a seat to sit on while flying it. Triple duty from one item.
I've landed on it too, but generally just hand catch it. I usually only land on the box when people say, "I bet you can't land it on the box"
They're very disappointed when I make it look easy.

Attachments

• I knew ya could do it !!.jpg
    I knew ya could do it !!.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 535
jason said:
NickCopter said:

81HKGuCWS3L._SL1500_.jpg

I takeoff from the grass, dirt, asphalt, base ball infield, gravel driveway, packed snow or where ever it's fairly level. I have never had a problem with the motors from launching from any surface.
You have been very lucky and hope you never do have any issues with them !
I wouldn't advise that though to anyone as it is asking for trouble .
Just because you haven't had any problems doesn't mean that's a good practice ;)

I use my tradecraft case since I carry my bird in it. I do that to keep from possibly picking up any Interfer from that could effect the compass buried in the ground ( iron, rebar in concrete, etc )

:D
I always use my GPC case or backpack for launching, and hand catch for landing.

I picked up some small magnetic debris in my P2V before I learned not to land and take off from the ground. A few flights later, the left front motor stopped mid flight and down she came. Pulled the motors apart and used motor cleaning putty to pick up the debris stuck to the ceramic magnets. Lesson learned.

MHL

One of the places I fly is a dried up salt marsh in Foster City, adjacent to the San Francisco Bay (and directly under the landing pattern for SFO's runway 28L.) RC Hobbyists have been using this place for years and the helicopter guys told me I do NOT want to blow dust into my Phantom. Apparently there's a lot of salt in the dirt and these will harm the electronics. Better to launch from the runway and platforms they've built there (at the RC field, not SFO.)

I have launched from and recovered onto TradeCraft hard case, as well as my the top cover foam pad from my backpack (launch only.) I anchor the foam pad with rocks so it doesn't blow away on liftoff. If there aren't rocks handy, batteries work, too.

Made my own here out of ply and wrapped it with vinyl!:)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1425725303547.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1425725303547.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 515

Attachments

• phantom discharging.jpg
    phantom discharging.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.