Launch Method and Property Rights

Reaction score
Last night while getting ready to launch my P4, I was asked by a self proclaimed "Property Manager" to get off the property. The area had implied access, that is: no fence, no trespassing signage or barriers of any sort. According to the law, he did have the right to ask me to leave the property, without reason, although the land was barren, no trees or structure, just a gravel area in a rural setting bordered only by a body of water and public road. (Trust me, his only motive was to ruin my evening.) I did leave the said property immediately.

I have the following question: If the P4 is hand launched from a public area, like a road or public pathway, would adjacent land owners have a right to consider this trespassing? I am assuming no, as long the mission was at a reasonable altitude and does not invade his use, private, or commercial, of his property! However, if authorities (police) are called, what would be the proper way of dealing with the situation? Only Transport Canada has the authority over airspace, not the local police, therefore, they do not have a right to apply the rules, unless, there is an immediate endangerment to life or property.

What to do ?

I would generally comply rather than get into a pissing match with the police. I might then follow up and visit the local police station, not to complain, but to discuss the situation with the top officer and inquire as to why you were stopped from flying in a safe manner on public land -- and possibly come to some agreement and understanding. If that doesn't work, I would just comply and find a different place to launch from next time.

"If the P4 is hand launched from a public area, like a road or public pathway, would adjacent land owners have a right to consider this trespassing? I am assuming no, as long the mission was at a reasonable altitude and does not invade his use, private, or commercial, of his property!"

That is correct, at least here in the U.S. at this time.

Reactions: N017RW

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik