Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Tags:
  1. Larry Bond

I like and use Litchi's waypoint missions a lot. The idea now that you can use separate speeds between waypoints, which I understand was strongly requested, only makes this program more powerful. However, it appears that you must have signal control for the different speeds to work. That I feel may be very limiting as one of the appeals for Litchi is that you can lose signal and still complete the mission. If the entire mission is first uploaded to the drone first I'm not sure why RC is needed.

Has anyone else have any thoughts or experience on this?

For example, when I flew the below flight along the US-Canada border in Sault Ste. Marie last week I sure could have used different speeds between waypoints, especially the far out, out of RC signal ones. I would prefer the drone change speeds rather than I do it the hokey way in post-processing. I could only speed it up after there were no more cars on the bridge. People and cars give it away :)

Thanks,

Larry

2. jogforfitness

Nice to see the option added. I wonder when contact is lost if the mission default speed would kick in? Or, would it be the speed from the last waypoint? The feature is a step in a good direction.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

3. Larry Bond

The Litchi "Help" unfortunately has not been updated to explain exacly how this change is implemented. So I guess it's up to us by "guess or golly" to figure it out.

4. jlindh

Tried out the new "speed at waypoint" feature yesterday. I was hoping that the feature would be useful in slowing the drone down for turns and help eliminate the shudder associated with turns at high speed. Unfortunately, the drone accelerates and decelerates rapidly, and while the feature does slow the drone for turns, it does so in such a rapid manner that the speed change is far too obvious in the resulting video.

Hopefully, Litchi will change the algorithm to allow smoother speed changes. The interpolate feature on the gimbal tilt might be a good starting point for the algorithm.

5. Larry Bond

Good observation. I've noticed that shudder too but I didn't think it necessarily was related to speed or waypoint changes as I've noticed them, such as in this flight, when I least expected them. I hope you're right and Litchi can smooth this out.

6. jlindh

Larry,

I think you misunderstood my comment about shudder. I believe the shudder caused when the aircraft turns rapidly is caused by an inability of the Phantom processor to handle the massive amount of data that's being generated during the high speed turns.

The SOLUTION to the problem is to slow the rate of turn and, therefore, the amount of data being generated. If you have a turn with a fixed radius, the rate of turn will depend on the horizontal speed of the aircraft during the turn. The problem I'm describing relates to the present inability of the app to moderate the speed changes associated with the latest version of the app.

7. Steve_in_NJ

Here's a related question: Lets say my cruising speed is 25mph, but there's one area where I want the Phantom to go slower, say 10mph.
    If waypoint 1 & 2 are set to cruising speed, waypoint 3 is at 10mph, and waypoint 4 is back to cruising speed, WHEN do the speed changes take place? Will the Phantom fly at 10mph between 2 & 3, or 3 & 4, or something different?

Another thought: If it is true that the Phantom speeds up and slows down abruptly as the waypoint settings dictate, perhaps set up a series of closely-packed waypoints wherein the speed changes a little bit for each one? I would rather see the Phantom gain or lose speed gradually after one speed-change, but for now...

8. ussvertigo

9. CCrew

Speed changes take place at the waypoint. A way around this is to add an additional waypoint before and after to stop the change from being so drastic as you've suggested.

I can't really fault Litchi too much for it, it really is doing exactly what it's told.