Latest Firmware Verdict

Reaction score
I have no current issues with my P4P. What are the recommendations for doing the latest FW upgrade, it seems some people are having issues and some are not. Thanks

It seems that nearly every single FW update produces the same results with the audience reaction. The two latest FW updates fixed all of the issues on the P4P+ and P4P (I have both.). The lingering issue was 4K60 recording and they seemed to have addressed it. Before that, many + owners could not even work in 4K recording because the video transmission was so bad (myself included.)

My advice... Do the FW updates as they come out and other post they are okay. There are reasons these are released, often being technical improvements or necessary updates. Remember with the bad reports... there is a HIGH level of user error out here simply because people jump in to this with no experience. Owning and flying drones requires a technically-inclined enthusiast that's capable of following tech directions with these highly sophisticated pieces of equipment.

I seem to be getting a lot of interference warnings since the last update in places I wouldn't normally see them - other than that, it flies just fine

I seem to be getting a lot of interference warnings since the last update in places I wouldn't normally see them - other than that, it flies just fine
What are your transmission settings at? Try 5.8 Auto as DJI has increased the power on the 5G. Some are reporting drastic improvements.

not here in the UK that I'm aware if - aircraft disconnects at about 800m over open countryside, exactly the same as before. 2.4ghz still makes just over 2km before the same disconnect - well, it probably would do if we were allowed to fly that far ;)

I'm flying a P4P+ on the latest firmware with no issues. I fly 4 to 6 times a week and have upgraded every time one comes out since my original Phantom 2 Vision +. I've owned 4 Phantoms and not sure why some flyers have so many issues, maybe I'm just lucky.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
@andy_k On 5.8 auto (no interference at all in my area) i can get over 3 kms without hiccups. I live in malta (europe)

My drone slowly spins in air for about 5 seconds after FW... and I just got a gimble twitch but I'm fairly sure it was because of wind. Regardless, it makes me worried, the last thing I want to do is return my p4p.

@andy_k On 5.8 auto (no interference at all in my area) i can get over 3 kms without hiccups. I live in malta (europe)

I'm guessing we have different strength transmitters - mine is CE marked as opposed to FCC or SRRC (apparently DJI vary output automatically dependent on location) in the UK. according to DJI's specs maximum range of 5.8ghz is 2km (free of interference) - even with uninterrupted line of site I struggle to get half of that distance.
The issue isn't the distance, it's the sudden appearance of 'strong interference' messages since the last firmware update even when flying out over the sea

I know this is not going to help you but Today I did a test flight over the sea, at 2.8km following a container ship, i hit the return to home button. Never saw the strong interferance warning or any other. My remote is CE

Cannot remember where (maybe dji forums) a member had similar issues and found out his antennas were not fitted correctly in his remote

I know this is not going to help you but Today I did a test flight over the sea, at 2.8km following a container ship, i hit the return to home button. Never saw the strong interferance warning or any other. My remote is CE

Cannot remember where (maybe dji forums) a member had similar issues and found out his antennas were not fitted correctly in his remote

It would be odd if they suddenly lost the connection but it's worth considering - cheers

Every time new firmware is released, without exception, a slew of posts follow noting one 'new' strange behavior or another with the vast majority being erroneous. Problems are always possible of course but unless a bug can be duplicated and confirmed by multiple parties it is probably best to just ignore the noise.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm fairly new to the drone scene and just didn't want to create any issues. I'll do the update and hope for the best.

Did my first set of flights yesterday using the latest firmware from early April and I do not see anything as an improvement. I get video glitches in about a third of the flights and when I do it's usually a single glitch per flight. My first flight with the latest firmware I had 13 video defects in that single 16 minute flight. I'm working to upload the video and hope to have that done later today at which time I'll report back to let you know. These 13 defects are not all the same type of defect and in fact I count 3 or 4 different defects types.

The first defect is a jump, forward or back, of about 1 second and this happened 7 times. The second defect, a tearing of the image lasting a second or two, occurred 5 times. The third defect is a large blocking up of the video where the entire right third or so of the video changes color relative to the rest of the video. This isn't the banding we see in the sky but something entirely different. This defect started at the 13:00 mark and continued 3 minutes until the end of the video. The forth defect, the color shift, is related to the previous defect and so perhaps defect 3 and four should be lumped together.

I flew 2 more flights yesterday and I don't think I saw any of these defect in either of the other 2 videos -- I've had the first 2 defects in previous flights using earlier firmware going back to early December so clearly these issues have not been fixed. With prior firmware these defects would usually show up in about 30%-40% of the flights and in most cases there was just a single instance of the defect in that flight though there have been a few flights with 2 or at most 3 defects per flight so to go from that to 13 defects in a single flight is a problem.

The settings used were: 4K30 (UHD), ISO100, f/5.6, SS 1/1000, WB=6000, D-Cinelike, -1,0,-1, MP4, and H.265.

Brian

Last edited:
Did my first set of flights yesterday using the latest firmware from early April and I do not see anything as an improvement. I get video glitches in about a third of the flights and when I do it's usually a single glitch per flight. My first flight with the latest firmware I had 13 video defects in that single 16 minute flight. I'm working to upload the video and hope to have that done later today at which time I'll report back to let you know. These 13 defects are not all the same type of defect and in fact I count 3 or 4 different defects types.

The first defect is a jump, forward or back, of about 1 second and this happened 7 times. The second defect, a tearing of the image lasting a second or two, occurred 5 times. The third defect is a large blocking up of the video where the entire right third or so of the video changes color relative to the rest of the video. This isn't the banding we see in the sky but something entirely different. This defect started at the 13:00 mark and continued 3 minutes until the end of the video. The forth defect, the color shift, is related to the previous defect and so perhaps defect 3 and four should be lumped together.

I flew 2 more flights yesterday and I don't think I saw any of these defect in either of the other 2 videos -- I've had the first 2 defects in previous flights using earlier firmware going back to early December so clearly these issues have not been fixed. With prior firmware these defects would usually show up in about 30%-40% of the flights and in most cases there was just a single instance of the defect in that flight though there have been a few flights with 2 or at most 3 defects per flight so to go from that to 13 defects in a single flight is a problem.

The settings used were: 4K30 (UHD), ISO100, f/5.6, SS 1/1000, WB=6000, D-Cinelike, -1,0,-1, MP4, and H.265.

Brian
\
Are the problems with the recorded video, the live stream, or both?
What SD card are you using?

\
Are the problems with the recorded video, the live stream, or both?
What SD card are you using?

I often get a video feed issue that fixes itself in a second or two but I have not live streamed anything just yet. Most of my flying is in the desert areas with no cellular so live streaming is out of the question.

I need to look at the video jumping problem a little closer but at the moment I'm away from home and shooting new video -- I should have some good stuff in a week or two when I get back and can edit some of it.

Brian

By "live stream" I was referring to the video displayed on the remote, during flight. That's a separate beast from the video recorded to the sd card in the bird.
Also, are the problems always in the same location in the recording? If they change at all between playbacks, this may be an issue with the playback PC you are using. Many PCs do not have the horsepower to playback videos above 1080p.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues