Lat/Long Data for Picture Files Say China?

Reaction score
For some reason I looked at the GPS Coordinate information recorded on some of my still pictures. I put the Lat/Long information into Google Maps and it showed the position to be somewhere in China. This is very confusing to me and I hope it has only to do with the camera settings somehow needing to be updated and won't affect anything else related to flying.

Yesterday I was flying at my regular flying field/club near Houston, Texas which is where the pictures were taken. The recorded coordinates were Latitude 29:52:0 Longitude 95:48:57. All pictures taken had coordinates very similar and close to those numbers. These coordinates seem to be somewhere in China.

Without knowing that these Lat/Long positions weren't correct I flew 3 full battery packs at this location near Houston without incident. I am flying in Naza mode and during this time flew in various the settings of GPS, Atti, Course Lock, Home Lock and even did several Fail Safe tests where the PV2+ performed as expected and returned for a landing within a few feet of it's take off point. During the day I reestablished my Home Point several times at different positions at the field, verified correct radar positions and even verified the PV2+'s position on Google Maps on my Samsung S3 running the App. All was good.

Again, everything about flying the PV2+ has always been great as long as I've had it with no issues whatsoever. Everything about it's flying performs as expected. However, I'm a bit spooked about the LAT/Long's in the picture files being somewhere in China. Any explanations???

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fixed Wing said:
For some reason I looked at the GPS Coordinate information recorded on some of my still pictures. I put the Lat/Long information into Google Maps and it showed the position to be somewhere in China. This is very confusing to me and I hope it has only to do with the camera settings somehow needing to be updated and won't affect anything else related to flying.

Yesterday I was flying at my regular flying field/club near Houston, Texas which is where the pictures were taken. The recorded coordinates were Latitude 29:52:0 Longitude 95:48:57. All pictures taken had coordinates very similar and close to those numbers. These coordinates seem to be somewhere in China.

Without knowing that these Lat/Long positions weren't correct I flew 3 full battery packs at this location near Houston without incident. I am flying in Naza mode and during this time flew in various the settings of GPS, Atti, Course Lock, Home Lock and even did several Fail Safe tests where the PV2+ performed as expected and returned for a landing within a few feet of it's take off point. During the day I reestablished my Home Point several times at different positions at the field, verified correct radar positions and even verified the PV2+'s position on Google Maps on my Samsung S3 running the App. All was good.

Again, everything about flying the PV2+ has always been great as long as I've had it with no issues whatsoever. Everything about it's flying performs as expected. However, I'm a bit spooked about the LAT/Long's in the picture files being somewhere in China. Any explanations???

The coordinates (DGM) are correct, but the longitude is 95 degrees west (negative) which puts you in a field just north of Katy, rather than east (positive), which would be in China.

sar104 said:
Fixed Wing said:

The coordinates (DGM) are correct, but the longitude is 95 degrees west (negative) which puts you in a field just north of Katy, rather than east (positive), which would be in China.

You are absolutely correct! Thank you very much for pointing that out. The picture file numbers don't indicate plus or minus with the numbers but when I changed the "95" in the Longitude to "-95" Google Maps showed it exactly where I was flying. It's a funny coincidence that the single minus sign on one of the numbers put the location in China which is where everybody says these things fly off to... LOL

Anyway, thank you so much for answering my question. I'm glad it didn't have anything to do with the PV2+. This shows the value of having these type forums.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj