Laser

as in a small laser pen type thing like you see on ebay? Just to point at objects in the dark and orientation

Seems simple enough, just tape it on and go then.
Do you really need to ask?

Orientation?
Maybe if you fly in fog.

But you'll find it useless.
Where do you point it?
The slightest movement at the quad will result in huge position differences at distance.

I assume you would do this outside while dark. If you are by yourself, I see no real problem but if people are around you, houses close that the beam could shine through the windows, and most of all nearby full size aircraft. I wouldn't recommend it. If it hits an aircraft you could be in trouble. Laser beams can go quite far.

In the UK someone was given a suspended sentence this year for shining one at a police helicopter from the ground. I would have thought the last thing anyone would want to do would be to fly one in the sky. :roll:

king156 said:
i know just thought ide do it for fun
You are really a cat and you want to chase the red dot.

paulajayne said:
In normal conditions you will not see the beam, the light needs to fall on something to be visible - fog - smoke - mist etc.

Actually, green lasers are typically visible in clear air in a well lit room.

Mounting a laser of any color on a phantom is a REALLY BAD idea. In the US, the FDA and FAA will be interested in what you're doing with it.

Leave the airborne lasers to the military.

DaveTown said:
paulajayne said:
In normal conditions you will not see the beam, the light needs to fall on something to be visible - fog - smoke - mist etc.

Actually, green lasers are typically visible in clear air in a well lit room.

Sorry no - lights needs to hit something to be show its presence -

Well the eye is most sensitive to the yellow-green in 'daylight'' conditions.
So you're more able to see the scattering in the air around you as opposed to red which your eye is less sensitive to.

In a vacuum (i.e. no air, no moisture etc.) you'd never see the beam in transit only where it strikes.

The point we were trying to make is that you can see beams in certain conditions but only if it strikes something that reflects photons toward your eye(s).

PJ -

You should get yourself a green laser and be "enlightened" :D

king156 said:
Guys you can see lasers shining in the air
Only because the air is dirty.

Maybe the laser and the quadcopter isn`t such a good idea unless your quite isolated. At the very least it`ll cause a stir with the neighbours , weird lights, UFO`s etc etc. If it`s a prank your after how about suspending a dead crow on 200 yards of fishing line and do a couple of flybys?? All good wholesome fun.

Careful with those things
bsl.gif

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj