Large power lines

Reaction score
A friend of mine is having a party on a ranch. Hundreds of acres. There are big power lines going by the house, maybe 200 feet or so. I want to fly around the perimeter and get shots and video. I have heard that cell towers affect your signal. Does anyone have any knowledge about these kinds of lines. Do they cause problems? Is there a recommended distance that one should not fly by these. These lines are from a nuclear power plant. I mean big.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 462
Yes... they put off a LOT of electromagnetic interference. They can mess with GPS and especially compass... if they don't interfere with your TX altogether.

I'll typically stay well clear... if fly at all.

Sullivanstudios said:
A friend of mine is having a party on a ranch. Hundreds of acres. There are big power lines going by the house, maybe 200 feet or so. I want to fly around the perimeter and get shots and video. I have heard that cell towers affect your signal. Does anyone have any knowledge about these kinds of lines. Do they cause problems? Is there a recommended distance that one should not fly by these. These lines are from a nuclear power plant. I mean big.

Depends on what voltages they carry, but usually you should be OK though I would try to avoid flying near one and pick a spot maybe a few hundred metres away where the intereference shouldn't be as great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1