laptop instead of Phone

Reaction score
Hi

So as i have a good quality rugged laptop built for outdoor use that has touchscreen capability as well as wifi and built in 3g sim card is it possible to use this instead of the phone.

I know i cant clip it to the TX unit , i was thinking more of a foldable picnic table setup so i can sit down and operate the drone and then view the camera output on the laptop screen,

If there is a thread on this already feel free to point me in the right direction.

Have you tried to open the camera software on the laptop to see if it will connect over wifi? If it locates the camera on the wifi networks should work.

not sure what you mean mate

I don't think you'll get this to work. While your laptop has WiFi capability, it's not set up to receive a WiFi video signal and turn it into something useable.

I've read of people running an android emulator that installed the DJI app, but never got it to work. Your best bet would probably be to get yourself a decent size tablet with an anti glare screen protector, crank the brightness all the way up and use that.

so in short DJI never thought to release a windows/mac version of the app.

seems a bit short sighted to limit the user to a phone or tablet

thanks for the replies chaps

I think the issue is not so much a software problem, but rather that PCs don't have the hardware designed to pick up a WiFi video signal to do what you want it to do.

That's sort of like blaming a submarine manufacturer for a submarine's inability to fly to the moon.

Green_Phantom said:
I think the issue is not so much a software problem, but rather that PCs don't have the hardware designed to pick up a WiFi video signal to do what you want it to do.

Please stop spreading lies and making assumptions based on your lack of knowledge about a topic.

The WiFi radio inside a PC laptop is the exact same kind of WiFi radio inside a smartphone or tablet. They operate at the same power and frequencies. There's no such thing as a "WiFi video signal that needs special equipment" --- the Phantom simply uses the licensed WiFi frequency of 2.4 GHz to transmit the video data like any other data --- and the Vision app displays that data as video. Don't make this any more complicated than it has to be.

The only reason DJI doesnt have a Windows version of the Vision app is laziness to a certain degree and perceived market choices. Simple as that. They just naturally assume most people are going to use a phone or tablet for FPV (a reasonable assumption) and thus didnt devote any programming resources towards making a Windows app since 99% of their customers will be using Android or Apple phones and tablets. I actually wish DJI did make a Windows Vision app since I often use my 17" laptop for tracking my bird on my Flytrex "Live Flight" channel and it'd be great to open up another window to see the FPV screen --- I could watch both windows side-by-side.

MadMitch88 said:
Please stop spreading lies and making assumptions based on your lack of knowledge about a topic..

didn't want to be rude, being new on here, but I was gonna call his post into question on its validity, seems you did it for me

Nathan Carter said:
I got intrigued by this question and looked around a bit. It seems it is possible to install Android inside Virtual Box, check this vide0

I had a quick look at this, seems possible, will try it out later and let you know

I will report back on this soon..

yeah it kind of did, I managed to get a VB to run Android, albeit a bit slowly, but in the app store I cant find the DJI app, I can find the one for the FC40 but not the one for the vision, its strange as I can find it via my android phone.

crash1sttime said:
yeah it kind of did, I managed to get a VB to run Android, albeit a bit slowly, but in the app store I cant find the DJI app, I can find the one for the FC40 but not the one for the vision, its strange as I can find it via my android phone.

I believe the reason for that is because they listed some devices as incompatible and it simply does not show in search
BUT
in that case I think you can just download the apk file straight from DJI website(download section when browsing Phantom 2 Vision/plus)

Link: http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vi ... s/download

Green_Phantom said:

That's sort of like blaming a submarine manufacturer for a submarine's inability to fly to the moon.

Naw, more like the submarine manf. neglecting to add a periscope.
It is only a software problem. It seems that someone made the decision not to make the app for OSX for example. It can actually be pretty easily ported via Xcode.
Modern laptops do not lack anything that a smartphone has, quite the contrary. Some even have GSM/GPS capability. Laptops only lack a good camera.
The A2 downlink can be plugged directly into a laptop for immediate editing or streaming of HDMI quality video, something phones/tablets are incapable of.

Nathan Carter said:
crash1sttime, did you manage to run the app?

(With the mentioned apk)

No, when I download it, and I have turned off file verification (allow unknown apps in settings) it just says "cant open app" and then does nothing.

Noël said:
I did test this a long time ago, and it does work

See: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6108&p=45545

edit: looks like the youtube video on it is dead.. Will try to fix it.

just had a quick look through this post, as im working at the moment I will look into it fully later, thanks for that and if you can get the video working even better.

I see you can run Android from a USB stick, can anyone point me in the direction of instructions on how to do that as VB is running so slowly on my machine.

thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4