Laptop for Video Editing (On a Budget)

Reaction score
So, I am tired of the old laptop and it being brutally painful to do any sort of video editing on it. My current laptop most of the time can not even play video that is better than 1080p @ 30fps with out getting jumpy. Video editing is even worse, even with GoPro studio. I do have Premier Pro CS6 that is worthless on the laptop. The current laptop is a Gateway NV52L15u with a AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M processor, 4gb ram, upgraded 750gb 7400 rpm HD, and a AMD Radeon HD 7640G with 512 MB Graphic Sytem Memory. I am trying to sell this for $300 and put it toward another laptop that is good with video editing.

I'm looking for a laptop for $500 or under (new or used). Does anyone know of a laptop that is good for video editing in this price range or anyone have one for sale? What specs should i be looking for? What processor, ram, HD, video card and i do prefer windows os?? I need advice because I am looking to buy now!!! Please let me know or give me some pointers.

Look for a laptop with an NVidia graphics card. Premiere Pro will use this to render, so the processor load is massively reduced. You sometimes need to do a "hack" to the software (You change an entry in a text file!) to make it recognise the card, but that's all.

I have an old R1 series Dell Alienware laptop at work we use for video editing. This is a dual processor, dual hard drive, dual graphics card 16Gb monster, but as it is now 6 years old, I doubt it is worth more than $500. Easy to find on Eba and will edit HD without breaking a sweat. The HD screen is a bonus as well.

I am typing this on my MSI Apache i7 16Gb / GT850m laptop, which would be about $1000, but is excellent for video editing, being very quick and extremely reliable.

Any laptop you get under $500 is not likely going to be suitable for video production, unless your just splicing stuff and render low quality mp4. If you're talking about real video production suites, such as Premiere and After Effects, you will be frustrated by render times and stuttering playback during editing, unless you get a suitable machine. I'd suggest choosing your video editing suite first, and then looking at stated requirements.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4