Landing Speed/IMU error and altitude relation

Reaction score
I recently purchased my P4 and am getting the hang of it. But i have a question/concern. Whats the landing speed on the drone when using the RTH function. On one of the landing attempts, at an altitude above 200ft, it came down pretty fast, which i had to attempt to slow it down and was partially successful and it did a touch and go. Note: I recently installed the an after market foam on the landing gear and gimbal protection. On some landings, its came down slowly and softly, and others it came down pretty rapidly. Are my sensors off?

Also, I have been seeing an error on screen about IMU error and that the max altitude was reached or something. It informs me to call DJI customer service. Ive let it warm up as instructed before each flight.

The gimbal protection has been shown by other users here to cause issues with the VPS system and cause the Phantom to yo-yo in access of 40 meters, gain and lose altitude with no stick input.

You will get the max altitude message if you reach the max altitude you have set in your Go App settings, usually 400 ft by default. Have you tried doing an IMU calibration or checked your IMU status in the Go App?

Reactions: Geeno
On some landings, its came down slowly and softly, and others it came down pretty rapidly.
It's best to manually land your Phantom when possible -- and, save the auto landing feature for emergency purposes only. When manually landing, you can control the speed and the exact touch down location. The Phantom is not an expert at doing either of those things.

I have been seeing an error on screen about IMU error and that the max altitude was reached or something
Please post the exact error message the next time you see it. Or, upload one of your TXT flight logs here. You should see the error in your log.

The gimbal protection has been shown by other users here to cause issues with the VPS system and cause the Phantom to yo-yo in access of 40 meters, gain and lose altitude with no stick input.

You will get the max altitude message if you reach the max altitude you have set in your Go App settings, usually 400 ft by default. Have you tried doing an IMU calibration or checked your IMU status in the Go App?

I found some threads about this yo-yo effect. My gut instinct is telling me thats it. Cause it also said i was "too low" to run some of the Tapfly. Hopefully the foam on the landing skis is still alright for a little protection.

As for the IMU error, I dont think i met the max height distance, unless the gimbal guard was interfering with the VPS. As for IMU calibration, the status says its ok. But calibration is run everytime the unit is turned on right?

It's best to manually land your Phantom when possible -- and, save the auto landing feature for emergency purposes only. When manually landing, you can control the speed and the exact touch down location. The Phantom is not an expert at doing either of those things.

Please post the exact error message the next time you see it. Or, upload one of your TXT flight logs here. You should see the error in your log.

Regarding the RTH feature, Im pretty comfortable landing on my own from practicing on another quadcopter. I was just testing the feature and as you mentioned, when to use it. It helped me get my bearings first, then i can manually land from there. But thanks for the feedback. Anything helps.

I found some threads about this yo-yo effect. My gut instinct is telling me thats it. Cause it also said i was "too low" to run some of the Tapfly. Hopefully the foam on the landing skis is still alright for a little protection.

As for the IMU error, I dont think i met the max height distance, unless the gimbal guard was interfering with the VPS. As for IMU calibration, the status says its ok. But calibration is run everytime the unit is turned on right?

Within the Go App under 'Advanced' and then 'Sensors' you have the ability to manually run an IMU calibration. This should be performed on a perfectly level surface and seems to be best run when the Phantom is cool, ie. not right after flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan