Landing pad

Reaction score
Lot of times I need a cleaner pad to take off and land. I made this first one and would like to have some feedback.
It is made of coated cordura pack cloth. It is 5x5 feet. You can put round tent stakes in the corner grommets holes. You could also put small soccer cones at each corner with tent peg.
When flying weddings etc it is a good idea to have a designated landing pad. Also if you have extra help someone should stay at this area for safety explaining what it is for. This one will sell for $80.00 to cover my cost. I will throw in 4 pegs.
We will be making smaller ones in the future @ 29x29 inches with hemmed seams. Est price will be about $40.00.
Give me some feedback.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,461
I think it is a great idea. There are times I land in dry dirt or wet leaves and blow up a lot of debris. Something like this would eliminate the mess upon landing.

That is an awesome spot on landing you did in the image! ;-)

I would go for the smaller one. Are they water proof? A suggestion...Any way to replace the word....pad with like..UAV LZ?..or alike wording? maybe (landing zone)?...

A nice design. There are several such landing pads on EBay, but they are all for RC Helicopters.

I have one suggestion: Come up with a raised platform, with folding legs and corner posts that the grommets will fit over, so the material will be stretched flat.

I purchased a heavy vinyl helicopter pad off of EBay, but in areas with tall weeds and stiff undergrowth, it won't lay flat. There are just a few such platforms, on the net. Perhaps you can look at them and come up with a design. You could offer the platform with a permanent landing surface.

I think that you should get a feel for how many prefer a gripping surface versus a smooth surface. I see pros and cons both ways.

This is a great idea

I would get a small one

I use insulation foam covered with gorilla tape on mine. I also added 4 spikes on the side to hold it in snow or dirt. I think it can be used as a landing pad on water but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for all the great input. We can print whatever you want, but are trying to get one style with these ideas. I'll let you know when smaller batch is ready. Great ideas and support.
Thanks again:)

Just completed my own custom landing pad made from timber and five posted wooden legs for support off the ground. It is about 60cm x 80cm with a bevelled edge and a carved out carry handle. It is very sturdy, wide enough and off the ground to restrict any grass or other debris generated by the rotors. There are no metal parts to interfere with any GPS signalling. Timber, legs and paint AUS$38. Would appreciate any comments, positive or negative on its serviceability.P1020038.JPG

Just completed my own custom landing pad made from timber and five posted wooden legs for support off the ground. It is about 60cm x 80cm with a bevelled edge and a carved out carry handle. It is very sturdy, wide enough and off the ground to restrict any grass or other debris generated by the rotors. There are no metal parts to interfere with any GPS signalling. Timber, legs and paint AUS$38. Would appreciate any comments, positive or negative on its serviceability.View attachment 33419

That looks great!

One thing, if you're going to bother raising it off the ground, why not add some evenly spaced holes thru the board to reduce the "ground effect" when landing.

Reactions: delta
I have the UAV bits landing pad and it's great...can place it anywhere for take off

Bought a precut 2'x2' 1/8" plywood square for $4.50 at Home Depot. Can't see spending more for something I only need for just a few seconds in takeoff & landing. [emoji6]

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20