Landing pad "pattern".

Reaction score
I understand from the manual that the VPS is finicky on what it "sees" underneath it as far as landings go. Is there an optimum "pattern" I should use for a landing pad? Is any kind of a broken pattern that best way to go? How about a 26" diameter pad with yellow (flat) as the base color with a 1" wide bright orange ring on the edge with a bright orange "H" in the middle?

What you want is a unique, non repeating pattern. What you describe should actually work ok, especially if the H had som asymmetry to it such as one of the vertical sides being longer or wider than the other.

Reactions: stones
Here's what I built. 26" diameter x 3/4" thick with 4" legs. Made of " gill floor". Fiberglass over balsa wood. Total weight is just under 5 lbs.

IMG_0019.JPG

Here's what I built. 26" diameter x 3/4" thick with 4" legs. Made of " gill floor". Fiberglass over balsa wood. Total weight is just under 5 lbs.

View attachment 75802
Unless you are taking off from water/mud or very damp grass, I wouldn't use the legs on the 'helipad'. Even 4" is high enough for it to damage the motors and props should the quad fall off the edge in the event of a less than perfect landing. 26" is a deceptively small target!

Unless you are taking off from water/mud or very damp grass, I wouldn't use the legs on the 'helipad'. Even 4" is high enough for it to damage the motors and props should the quad fall off the edge in the event of a less than perfect landing. 26" is a deceptively small target!
I feel confident enough to land on the X but, I may trim the legs down to 2" just to help with stability of the pad.

I use a simple T pattern, used by pilots and airfields for a hundred years or so. Crosspiece of the T is into the wind; always useful reminder...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20