Landing maneuver

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the landing maneuver has to be done with the sticks as opposed to having a button to do it? I was flying the other day and trying to get a good turn and descend and almost activated it. It was only when I was about to move the right stick I stopped and just saved the drone from a 40 foot fall.

Does anyone know why the landing maneuver has to be done with the sticks as opposed to having a button to do it? I was flying the other day and trying to get a good turn and descend and almost activated it. It was only when I was about to move the right stick I stopped and just saved the drone from a 40 foot fall.
Your post is unclear.
What did you almost activate and what would have caused a 40 ft fall?
There is an autoland feature in the app if you want to use it or you can land yourself.

I mean when you put both sticks outwards or inwards it stops the engines. So yeah not landing I meant engines off. Anyone know why that is a stick maneuver instead of having a button for engines off.

I mean when you put both sticks outwards or inwards it stops the engines. So yeah not landing I meant engines off. Anyone know why that is a stick maneuver instead of having a button for engines off.
It's called CSC and it's been discussed a thousand times on the forums.
Do a search for CSC and you'll see what's been said already.

If you were landing you wouldn't have been close to activating CSC which would have required you to be descending fast while spinning wildly at the same time as flying backwards and sideways at full speed.
That's something that you'll never do in normal flight.

btw .. your landings will go better if you use the left stick down for 3 seconds to shut down the motors rather than CSC which can cause the Phantom to tip on landing.

What I mean is I came very close to activating it trying to get an artistic shot. Why do they even have it when a button could do the job it just seems a massive oversight.

What I mean is I came very close to activating it trying to get an artistic shot. Why do they even have it when a button could do the job it just seems a massive oversight.
You weren't close.
If you are close to activating CSC, your Phantom is whizzing around in a crazy fashion that will prevent you getting any shots at all .. even artistic ones.

CSC has been a standard emergency stop method in radio control for many years, well before DJI even existed.
And contrary to the fears of many new flyers, it's something that you'll never get close to doing in normal flight.
Here's a search that will give you some idea of what's been said a thousand times already on the topic: Search Results for Query: CSC | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

Reactions: cfd701
I disagree. I was very close close to activating it. It should be a button and I cannot see any reason why it isn't. It's very strange that they don't have an engines off button instead. That's all I'm saying. There is no good reason for it to be set up the way it is. It's a shame without that it would be a perfect machine.

I disagree. I was very close close to activating it. It should be a button and I cannot see any reason why it isn't. It's very strange that they don't have an engines off button instead. That's all I'm saying. There is no good reason for it to be set up the way it is. It's a shame without that it would be a perfect machine.
You might think you were close but you weren't.
You would have no chance of framing a subject if you were halfway close to CSC.
To be close to CSC you have to yank the sticks around like a crazy chimp - not someone who is trying to frame a shot.

Just seems bizarre to me. The return to home button worked well. A button you double click would be far nicer. Or even a knob you turn to start the craft and turn it off to stop the engines, works well for cars! I'd hate to know if I was driving down the motorway and it I shifted into 6th while turning slightly left would switch off the engine.

J I'd hate to know if I was driving down the motorway and it I shifted into 6th while turning slightly left would switch off the engine.
But changing to 6th and turning slightly left is something that could easily happen in normal driving.
And descending fast while spinning wildly at the same time as flying backwards and sideways at full speed is not something you would ever be doing with your Phantom unless you want to yank the sticks at random like a crazy chimp.
It just doesn't happen in normal flight.
If it did, half this forum would be reports of accidental CSC but we only see them every couple of months and even then, it's not happening in normal flight.

Just seems bizarre to me. The return to home button worked well. A button you double click would be far nicer. Or even a knob you turn to start the craft and turn it off to stop the engines, works well for cars! I'd hate to know if I was driving down the motorway and it I shifted into 6th while turning slightly left would switch off the engine.

Why use a car analogy for an aircraft control system?

How about using aircraft controls...
Minimum throttle, full right rudder, full positive pitch, full left aileron

This sounds like a variation of a 'Lomcovak'.

Google it.

When you see an aircraft performing a maneuver with similar control inputs you'll understand just how unlikely it is you'll be doing this to 'frame a shot' or approach this in normal flight.

Reactions: BigAl07
Why use a car analogy for an aircraft control system?

How about using aircraft controls...
Minimum throttle, full right rudder, full positive pitch, full left aileron

This sounds like a variation of a 'Lomcovak'.

Google it.

When you see an aircraft performing a maneuver with similar control inputs you'll understand just how unlikely it is you'll be doing this to 'frame a shot' or approach this in normal flight.

That's a beautiful maneuver when done correctly :) I've not even seen that word in type in several years now LOL.

How do people do this? What sort of 'artistic shot' involves descending, going backwards,yawing and rotating simultaneously? Inquiring minds want to know.

On a P4 you can now disconnect the 'both sticks in and down' maneuver in favor of a button press and a single stick maneuver.

Reactions: MasterBlaster

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik