Landing issues.. Help

Reaction score
Okay, I have been having problems with my P4 landing at night with VPS turned off.. The behavior is the same if I try this in the daytime as well with the VPS off (flying at a beach to keep VPS from tracking the waves - had the same experience). I have tried recalibrating with a completely level surface - drone at 50 degrees F (10 degrees C).. Successful calibrations - etc.. This happens on any surface I have tried to land on, dirt, sand, grass, asphalt..

Does anyone else experience the same issue?? Here's a video of the event that made me quit landing it with VPS off..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can you explain what we're seeing in the video above?

I am landing after a flight over water with VPS off.. As I am trying to land the AC starts hoping up and down as I am trying to bring it down.. Before I can throttle up it is bouncing up and down fairly quickly then just drops to the ground rather hard. I recalibrated after the hard landing and it flys ok and lands fine as long as VPS is turned on.. If you turn it off the AC freaks out when it is close to the ground.. The only way I can land under these conditions is to hand catch it no matter how gentle I am on the throttle to bring it down.. It's like it isn't sure if the ground is there or not.

It has no idea where the ground is located when VPS is disabled. Why don't you keep it enabled? Unless you're flying close to the surface of the water, the waves should not affect the stability when VPS is enabled.

Well, I have had the experience several times where it does track the incoming waves when I am trying to film my girlfriend and my kids playing in the waves.. I read another post where it was suggested to turn off VPS and voila it worked! As for night time flying I do like to film certain time lapse and I want to turn off extra systems that will only use up battery when they aren't needed or would even work in the first place in the hopes of having a few minutes extra flying time.. Regardless, if you are trying to land at night with VPS on the behavior is the same.. It will hope around like it's scared to land on the ground.. I can be coming down very gently but as soon as it is inches from the ground it starts to jump up in the air the lose altitude and land as you saw in the video I posted. Very frustrating..

I don't think there is anything you can do to overcome that. When you're ready to land, commit to it and take it down until it reaches the ground.

I don't think there is anything you can do to overcome that. When you're ready to land, commit to it and take it down until it reaches the ground.

I do, the only thing that USED to work was very very gently throttle down and it wouldn't do it.. Now no matter what I do it bounces up and down... I suppose I can only hand catch it .. Not a big deal was just hoping I wasn't the only person with the issue :(

Don't have a 4, but can you hand catch them like we do the 3?

Sri, our posts must have crossed in the ether.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic