Landing gear that isn't in FOV w/ H3-3d

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any landing gear that will not get into your field of view with a gimbal attached?

The left leg of the landing gear is in a lot of my shots even when I am not flying aggressively at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry if this is not the right section.

I find it a bit confusing why they didn't change the design of the gimbal so that the lens of the GoPro is centred.

I've seen a few YT videos showing this problem and to be honest it's putting me off the idea of getting an H3-3D. Some people have even resorted to warming up and bending their landing gears out of shape it seems, just to get it out of view! :eek:

These may help, though!

Moved to H3-3D forum.

Are you running the latest firmware? There was a revision that will yaw the gimbal with rudder input so that the front legs stay out of view when turning. From the few videos I've seen so far, it seems to work pretty well even with aggressive turns.

ElGuano said:
Moved to H3-3D forum.

Are you running the latest firmware? There was a revision that will yaw the gimbal with rudder input so that the front legs stay out of view when turning. From the few videos I've seen so far, it seems to work pretty well even with aggressive turns.

Latest firmware - still get the left leg in some shots.

thanks for help.

Now my camera is sitting not level. How can I fix this?

Attachments

• photo (4) resize.jpg
    photo (4) resize.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,579
Ejazzle said:
Does anyone know of any landing gear that will not get into your field of view with a gimbal attached?

The left leg of the landing gear is in a lot of my shots even when I am not flying aggressively at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry if this is not the right section.

See my post on landing gear, along with modifications, and a video sample.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14084

Video: https://vimeo.com/93708369

PS. It helps a lot if you shoot in medium rather than wide angle.

Narj said:
I find it a bit confusing why they didn't change the design of the gimbal so that the lens of the GoPro is centred.

I've seen a few YT videos showing this problem and to be honest it's putting me off the idea of getting an H3-3D. Some people have even resorted to warming up and bending their landing gears out of shape it seems, just to get it out of view! :eek:

These may help, though!

These legs look like a good idea. Has anyone reviewed them? Would be keen to see footage samples.
Cheers
Paul

So what other options have people tried outside of turning the Phantom into a three-legged stool? Does medium FOV eliminate much of the problem? I only ever use wide for night shots. How often does it show up in wide FOV?

ianwood said:
So what other options have people tried outside of turning the Phantom into a three-legged stool? Does medium FOV eliminate much of the problem? I only ever use wide for night shots. How often does it show up in wide FOV?

Medium angle does make a difference, but depending on the flight conditions, eg. lots of wind, the landing gear can still appear in the shot, but much less often than wide.
Regarding the "three-legged stool" I'll just say that I'm an "out of the box" thinker and I look at different ways to solve different problems. If a set of landing gear could be fabricated from carbon fibre, and using only the two rear mount points on the Phantom, with the left lower rail slightly reduced in length, that would solve 99% of the problem.
The current DJI landing gear is not strong enough to support the Phantom, should someone try to modify the existing landing gear to this setup.
Another solution, would be to redesign a gimbal mount so that the gimbal was bought forward a few cms. But this may cause balance problems etc.
Actually, if DJI had just designed a gimbal where the GoPro lens was centred, we would have much less of this problem. It's a matter of trying to rectify their design shortcomings and I welcome reading other people's ideas.
I like the extended and widened landing gear concept, but the deal breaker for me is simple. It won't fit in my Phantom case, and there's no way in hell I'm going to be removing and re-installing the landing gear every time I want to fly.

I used the SimenSays kit with some carbon fiber tubes, but I still got the gear in some shots. So I canted the left leg out -- it's not symetrical now, but the gear is NEVER in the shot. P.S. this is with the H3-2D gimbal, not the 3D/yaw function. Here are some examples:
Bridge Shots in Moderate Wind:
[vimeo]83116564[/vimeo]
Lighthouse in High Winds -- Straight Down Shot with No Gear:
[youtube]aQAXW8oTRB4[/youtube]

I bought the heightened and widened landing gear from Banggood, and it's just as bad for getting the left leg in view.
I might try heating and bending them apart wider to fix it :(

nzvideoguys said:
ianwood said:
I like the extended and widened landing gear concept, but the deal breaker for me is simple. It won't fit in my Phantom case, and there's no way in hell I'm going to be removing and re-installing the landing gear every time I want to fly.

I'm exactly the same, there needs to be a better solution than simply new legs that won't fit in any of the designed cases.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.