Landing Gear. Needed or over rated?

Reaction score
I came across this you tube video for P3 landing gear. You tube link. Has one used this or something similar? I don't have much P3 flight time so I'm not certain if a landing gear is really needed. Thanks.

It's a matter of practice to develop landing skills. Maybe at first you'd use them like 'training wheels' on a bike.
While I never have, many folks hand-catch either exclusively or in tricky situations.

I think is a must have, it provides to your aircraft a soft landing. Mine lands very stable and softly.
74bca17b1104516bc580a061a1a37f56.jpg

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
First thing's first. They are called "landing gear extensions". "Landing gear" is what's already on the drone.

I had those type. I didn't like them. I have this type now and I like them a lot. They help if you land on grass, so that your camera is not sitting in the grass.

DJI-Phantom-3-P3-spare-parts-landing-gear-Extension-brackets-tripod-Accessaries-Protector-1Pair-Free-shipping.jpg

I use landing gear from time to time, but be aware, the extended black one can get in the camera view, you won't notice while flying, but later once you review your footage back home. Pretty frustrating. Most likely the white one won't, seems to be smaller, less intrusive.

I use exactly that type occassionally on rougher terrain/grass. Mostly to keep the camera off the ground during it's start-up dance or when using a lens hood. I have a hard backpack case and those white type are more permanently mounted and won't fit in the case. The black ones the OP linked snap on/off in about 2 seconds. High wind days I will sometimes throw them on as well for added stability. I've seen enough drones that will "sit" just fine, but tip on motor start or initial take-off if not given enough throttle (manual). Talking quite stiff winds though.

Showing up in your vid's/photos IS an issue, but can be corrected somewhat by turning off "follow" in your gimbal settings. Your camera won't maintain the horizon though. Plan your shots accordingly or shot in higher resolutions for cropping.

IMO, as cheap as they are, it's not a bad idea having a set on hand.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I use landing gear from time to time, but be aware, the extended black one can get in the camera view, you won't notice while flying, but later once you review your footage back home. Pretty frustrating. Most likely the white one won't, seems to be smaller, less intrusive.
I noticed sometimes but it doesn't bother me at all.

i do not see a need for these at all...

i had a hard landing no my P3S the other day and i mean hard landing. popped off on of the camera rivets camera came swingin off... put back together works fine.

landing gear on bird is good enough, they are like babies, they bounce pretty good!

I don't want anything that add weight to my drone. You are losing probable 4 min of flight by adding such a thing.
f339edb80d69f671f4b75e53ff50e168.jpg

I have the black ones too. Easy on and off so my phantom fits in its hard case. The main reason I use them is to keep the camera away from the ground. I use them less since starting to hand catch. They have got in my videos a few times but I'm more into taking photos so it is less of an issue.

DO it!!!! Easy on and off. And cheap. A wider platform for the drone and helps to keep it from tipping over on landing. Also, it keeps the camera and gimbal a couple more inches off the ground.

DO IT!!!

Have them on mine for various reasons , one being I have tall grass in some landing area's & it helps clear the Camera when starting up or landing , another is a shock absorber if landing hard & a more stable landing platform , just my experience with & with out them .

It's like with everything, there are pros and cons to them. Yesterday, I was flying in an area (taking panos) where there were tall grasses and the ground was water soaked, so I hand caught my phantom but I had to be careful as the wind was gusty and the phantom kept getting blown back toward me. I caught it ok (in between gusts) but if I had the choice there, I would have used my clip on landing gear. Like others have said, they are cheap, raise the camera up, provide a wider stance (more stable) for landing and have more give than the original landing legs, and are good for landing on hard surfaces like pavement or gravel.

Just like hard case vs soft case, filter vs no filter, Go vs Litchi, etc. they are another accessory/tool you have. You use them when needed and they are CHEAP.

Reactions: stones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.