Landing Gear/Compass question

Reaction score
I flew my Phantom for the first time last night, and I when I watched my gopro2 footage (set on R4- 960 - tall and narrow) there are a number of angles where the landing gear are still in view of the camera. I would like to fly the helicopter without the landing gear, but I don't know if the Atti modes will operate properly if I disconnect the wire to the metal compass that is located on one of the landing gear legs.

Is there an internal compass that functions when the landing gear one is not present or should I relocate the metal compass to the bottom of the body in absense of the landing gear?

Thanks for any opinions or advice!

I've seen some videos from the Phantom but I didn't see the landing gear, perhaps you could change the video setting on the GoPro?

Also, I wouldn't detach any wires, I'm sure the Naza needs that Compass.

I will chime in here .
Physically relocating the compass can be performed rather easily .
After removing the landing gear , you will be limited as to where to mount the compass .
I would be very leery of mounting the compass any closer to the internal electronics than it already is .
I have no proof but I personally would be concerned about signal interference .
These compasses are very sensitive . If the compass were to lose it's true north calibration during flight , you would have no more worries concerning landing gear in your video .
The unit will attempt to find true north while in flight . It does not have the ability to perform this type of in flight correction. Your unit would just fly away without any response to pilot input .
Not saying that it cannot be done .
Just be aware of the hazards and test ....test.....test before flight .
If you do perform this and succeed , please post these results back to the forum .
It would be very encouraging to know that this can be done with positive results .

I will chime in here .
Physically relocating the compass can be performed rather easily .
After removing the landing gear , you will be limited as to where to mount the compass .
I would be very leery of mounting the compass any closer to the internal electronics than it already is .
I have no proof but I personally would be concerned about signal interference .
These compasses are very sensitive . If the compass were to lose it's true north calibration during flight , you would have no more worries concerning landing gear in your video .
The unit will attempt to find true north while in flight . It does not have the ability to perform this type of in flight correction. Your unit would just fly away without any response to pilot input .
Not saying that it cannot be done .
Just be aware of the hazards and test ....test.....test before flight .
If you do perform this and succeed , please post these results back to the forum .
It would be very encouraging to know that this can be done with positive results .

Hey Mike,

This post is ~6.5 years old and the O.P. has not been here since.

Just Sayin'!

Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic