Landing Drone on Sand, Bad Idea?

Reaction score
I like flying my Phantom on beaches, due to the wide open spaces, and soft landing potential. However, I've noticed on landing, the action of the propellers seems to 'suck up' a lot of sand towards the gimbal, and body of the drone.

Can sand do damage to the drone, or is it not a big deal?

Last edited:
It's not easy to clean sand out of the motors. You'll be better off by hand catching if you must land on the beach. Or use a landing pad like one of these.

Reactions: dronezone1010
I like flying my Phantom on beaches, due to the wide open spaces, and soft landing potential. However, I've noticed on landing, the action of the propellers seems to 'suck up' a lot of sand towards the gimbal, and body of the drone.

I use a portable table that collapses into a tiny bag. It's perfect and light.

Reactions: BigAl07
My drone flipped on the sand, I was launching it from my DJI phantom backpack... One motor sucked up a lot of sand. Wasn't even starting, had to push the propeller for it to roll. Gimbal movement was also impacted. It was stacked. I cleaned it with Air Duster, but most probably I'll just RMA it since it's only 2 days into my new P3 4k.

Hand catch and if necessary hand launch. The sand can be a [EXPLETIVE REMOVED].

Last edited by a moderator:
indeed i flew my drone p3S on the beach had a topple over and one of the rotors was really slow ,had to blow the roror out with my electric air can

I just came back from a beach vacation and I took off and landed from the walkway to the beach. It's just not worth the risk to try to land in beach sand.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20