Landing and Taking Off properly

Reaction score
Guys,

I have been taking off on top of my box for a while now. Launching from the ground can be scary because of non-uniform lift. The quad will drift laterally while trying to pull itself off the ground. I've had a couple ground launches where I think it's going to tip via launching, so I starting launching from the box. Seems to help, however, I still get a non-uniform launch sometimes, and it's a little scary.

Landing is even worse, and since my tip-over landing, I no longer land on the ground - we always catch. Either I do this myself, or my co-pilot will do it. We've caught now for 25 flights and it works great.

How do most people launch and recover though? Thanks!

You're launching in a wussy fashion. After you perform CSC to get the motors spinning, then be aggressive and hit the throttle with some gusto. That bird will take off like a true beast of the skies and won't drift laterally (unless there is heavy wind) if you're in GPS mode.

Hand-catching should be the recommended mode of landing for just about everybody. Many people won't admit that the Phantom has poorly-designed short and stubby landing gear on the Vision series and this causes the high center of gravity to induce tip-overs on landing. You will notice the 3D Robotics IRIS+ has long legs spread out to the very tips of the prop arms, so this aint a problem. Anyone who studied force vectors and torque in high school physics class will understand why this happens. But until we all buy an IRIS, then just hand-catch the P2 and save yourself some damaged props and gimbals!

Full throttle for take-off... no less.

Landing is up to you.
Personally never had any problem setting it gently on the ground but then I've flow CP-helis for the last 8 years.

Here's my solution to tip overs: 2 chopsticks from the Chinese resturant and 4 zip ties. Never had a tip over or hard landing.

Attachments

• 20141027_140529.jpg
    20141027_140529.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 895
I have mentioned this before about my Phantom 1 1.1.1 ver 4.00. Nobody really replied. If I just ram the throttle up it is very sluggish and may tip over. So...I flip S1 down to manual, which I have selected in assistant...it pops right up and I quickly go to gps. Works great for me. Then I just go fly

MadMitch88 said:
You're launching in a wussy fashion. After you perform CSC to get the motors spinning, then be aggressive and hit the throttle with some gusto. That bird will take off like a true beast of the skies and won't drift laterally (unless there is heavy wind) if you're in GPS mode.

I have no addons and always rip the throttle when taking off

Monte55 said:
I have mentioned this before about my Phantom 1 1.1.1 ver 4.00. Nobody really replied. If I just ram the throttle up it is very sluggish and may tip over. So...I flip S1 down to manual, which I have selected in assistant...it pops right up and I quickly go to gps. Works great for me. Then I just go fly

yes this is moreso what I experience. Lateral movement when launching, which always scares me. I'm basically going to do release launches more I think, until I upgrade motors (only if I have to).

Here was my solution for this:

Allows me to launch and land easily without having to touch the right stick. For landing, I would recommend the same thing as Monte - shut off GPS. The quad tries to correct position low to the ground sometimes and you end up with damaged props.

Since adding the Gopro and gimbal mine tended to tip forward on take offs. My solution was similar to Gary's except I used 1/4" round styrene tubes from the local hobby shop. They also give me the extra ground clearance I needed.

Taking off aggressively is the best solution. Holding the right stick back slightly makes it straight and smooth.

Landing has never been a problem for me. I bring it down within an inch or two from the ground, let it hover there for a couple seconds, then gently touch down.

Attachments

• DSC01635.JPG
    DSC01635.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 876
  • DSC01636.JPG
    DSC01636.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 842
I have never had a problem on take off. I even took off from a boat that was rocking and it was a slight angle being nose down. I just go full throttle and get ready to compensate for the lack of level take off. Numerous times I have taken off on uneven ground and never had a problem. Most landings I catch, or my wife does too. I do sometimes try to get fancy and land on the case. In 44 flights I have only tipped over once and that was the first flight.

You guys need to give a little throttle get the motors spooling and in sync then go full throttle to avoid tip over .

I don't understand the hand landing thing... I do it if a dog is chasing after it... but other than that.... let her land on the grass or whatever surface it is.
If its very gusty I wait for it to stop and then put her down... if it doesn't stop, ok then I guess I'll catch it..

but yeah seems dangerous to be recommending it....

Its not like they are so unbalanced and just flop around. If you put her down and it looks to be leaning then quickly use right stick to compensate.

Don't mean to sound like I'm some expert.. far from it!!!

justin00 said:
I don't understand the hand landing thing... I do it if a dog is chasing after it... but other than that.... let her land on the grass or whatever surface it is.
If its very gusty I wait for it to stop and then put her down... if it doesn't stop, ok then I guess I'll catch it..

Its not like they are so unbalanced and just flop around. If you put her down and it looks to be leaning then quickly use right stick to compensate.

Don't mean to sound like I'm some expert.. far from it!!!

I prefer to catch. Don't seems so dangerous if you understand what are you doing and you literally catch it. I let it hover for some seconds, then approach and catch. Never try to bring it to your hands unless there is no option, (For example I saw a guy that catch a phantom from a window at a 10+ floor).

Why do you prefer to catch it ?

catching it is so much better imo too. the stock landing gear on this thing is terrible compared to other UAVs. it's narrow and therefore allows for easy tipover landings and launches. Catching it will ensure you never tip and never have to risk your props / ESCs being damaged.

As an inexperienced pilot, I tipped over on one of my first landing attempts. I burned an ESC out and had to deal with nearly 2 months of downtime. I did the repair myself, and since have been super careful. I have not attempted a normal landing due to this, and therefore, love catching. Can be down solo or with another person.

I think some folks hand catch because they know it's going to tip over after touchdown and ding the props. I know it's going to tip over but don't care because the prop guards prevent damage most of the time. I typically do not have the luxury of a smooth and level surface to take off from or land on. About the best I get is a gravel road. Hand catching saves time. Sometimes there is no suitable landing zone.

As far as takeoffs go...
Am I to understand folks saying: the phantom pitches forward on takeoff due to forward loading of the camera/mount/gimbal? In my mind that implies: the phantom spools up all 4 motors equally until it senses the need to counteract a deflection. The deflection, as I understand it, is the rear of the aircraft lifting prior to the front, which is caused by forward loading, and results in forward movement. So If I remove all my camera stuff, I should be able to takeoff slow and easy without any right hand input.

:?: Yes - No - Maybe

justin00 said:
Why do you prefer to catch it ?

Hi. It's only a matter of self confidence, and to be gentle with the craft. I also feel the land gear is not the best for a safer landing.

justin00 said:

LOTS of bad stuff can happen when you don't hand-catch --- tip overs are the main problem which can lead to damaged props, ESCs, and a super expensive gimbal/camera. All of that is just more wasted money compared to a nice hand-catch which at the very worst results in a warped or snapped landing gear (almost impossible to do and rather cheap to replace).

I also don't like taking chances with my Vision+ camera lens landing on a pile of mud, cow or dog poop, wet grass, snow or a sharp rock. As it gets close to the ground, the prop wash can kick up a lot of dust or powdery snow and that will ruin a clean lens. The ground is just chock full of yucky, nasty stuff and I'm perplexed why folks are willing to land a $1,200 machine on it over and over again.

So why the widespread aversion to hand-catching? Maybe lots of clumsy people out there with poor hand-eye coordination? I wish somebody could explain to me why it's such a technically difficult maneuver? I find it to be quite easy, even on a windy day. Maybe I'm just born with above-average dexterity and/or athletic ability.

Dunno.. Not really a confidence issue.. No problems catching it. Never had my eye caught in the blades heh... but as I said.. I can hand catch/land when I need to.. Generally only when dogs are attacking it..

If its windy I'll wait for the gusts to stop and then land.... and use the right stick all the way until down and stable. If gusts don't stop then I'll catch it.
Same when taking off... if I don't use full throttle and its windy it might want to tip over.. so I use full throttle and right stick.

Each to their own I guess :) I guess I need to experience a tip over before I convert... Hopefully I dont!!

750r said:
You guys need to give a little throttle get the motors spooling and in sync then go full throttle to avoid tip over .

+1

750r said:

Not trying to be dense, but would you mind explaining the benefits?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20