Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Labeling Your Contact Info on Your Phantom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RedFishChaser, Sep 3, 2013.

1. RedFishChaser

With potential fly-aways, which I had one recently - but recovered after clipping the trees and pounding the grassy ground, does it make sense to write one's phone number and name on the Phantom?

There are pros and cons to this:

Pros - if someone recovers it, provided it's not stuck in the trees or some other high place, a good samaritan could call you to get it returned.

Cons - suppose your Phantom crashes into a person/crowd or causes property damage. Do we want to get a phone call and then later find out a law suit is in the works? Not only us, would DJI be held accountable?

Questions to ponder.

I labeled my Phantom with my name and phone number. If it flies away and causes a problem, then I'll be responsible. I'll also hold DJI responsible for potential issues with the product.

Cheers!

2. Gizmo3000

The odds of retrieving your Phantom with a label attached far exceedsthe odds of
    your Phantom causing damage in a flyaway, simple as that.

odd of retrieving a flyaway Phantom without a label..: very slim

3. rilot

I have a sticker on the side of mine. It says:

£100 REWARD IF FOUND
    Please call #my number#

I figured £100 is enough to make anyone think twice about keeping it if they found it.

4. gazchap

On the other hand, they might think "Jeez, if the guy's willing to pay £100 to get this back, how much could I get for it on eBay?" ;)

I need to put a label of some sort on mine though - I already lost mine once and only got it back after putting a message out on local radio about it - a local quarry worker found it and heard the appeal and we were reunited. Very lucky.

5. TickTock

I have three labels on mine. Bottom, inside battery door, inside shell. Also, someone here suggested adding a REWARD.TXT file on the root directory of the camera card. Also a good idea.

6. porl_hopkins

But the odds with no label = ZERO

Putting a few on mine tonite and a light varnish cover to keep it on :D

7. Fdnyfish

8. jumanoc

I read in other forum, statistics said: 50% of recovery your quad if label with data attached, 75% if reward anounced on it. I have mine labeled, Name, Phone, Reward. :geek:

9. fizzviic

I have a label on mine showing "Reward" my phone number and email address. I am also an Academy of Model Aeronautics member and am afforded some pretty good insurance as a benefit of being a member. I also have my AMA membership number "AMA # 1023856" on my Phantom

10. RedFishChaser

Great inputs! Thanks.

I simply used a Brother 0.5" label maker. Black on white.

I'm now thinking most likely that with a GoPro on a lost Phantom that the chance of a call for a return would be <50%. However, like several commenters have said - no label, no chance of a return! LOL. I agree!

Cheers!

11. brad90631

i have mine labeled. "Reward if returned"

12. Gizmo3000

I printed info out on laser printer paper,, nice and big and bold. (about 2 inches long by an inch wide
    and then I affixed it to the top of my Phantom using 2" wide clear packaging tape.
    : the result is a nearly waterproof, scratch resistant and non-fading label.

13. Creesball

I wrote on the stickers that came with the Phantom.
    $$ Reward if found
    Please contact XXXXXXXX

14. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

15. Bryce

I take it all apart and file off all serial numbers, camera and battery included, and rewrite the battery chip to change the embedded code there as well. Every chip inside needs to be carefully scanned and reflashed with your own code to rewrite the identifiable information there as well. Even your SIM card needs to be proprietary in nature to defeat the hunters. So many steps.... Not much time to fly after it's all said and done.

:)