L.A. Times: Drones and DJI

Good article on thinking outside the box. When the alligator killed that boy in Orlando I thought if only they thought enough of their guests to monitor the lake with drones they could have saved a life. I bet drones will be used more and more in ways that can't be construed as invading privacy or dangerous but as helpers and safety.

I read a while back that decades ago Disney lobbied and controversially got the FAA to issue the only permanent private property No Fly Zone in the US over their Florida property. The real purpose is considered to be keeping planes with advertising banners away, which they feel spoils the "fantasy" when it happens at their CA park.

Now they are trying to get a waiver to fly drones over their own property! I doubt it was to look for alligators, but the point is currently they can't even if they wanted to...

Last edited:
I read a while back that decades ago Disney lobbied and controversially got the FAA to issue the only permanent No Fly Zone in the US over their Florida property. The real purpose is considered to be keeping planes with advertising banners away, which they feel spoils the "fantasy" when it happens at their CA park.

Now they are trying to get a waiver to fly drones over their own property! I doubt it was to look for alligators, but the point is currently they can't even if they wanted to...
DO NOT underestimate the power of what Disney can do especially in Florida.

it counts for so much of their economy for entertainment that the state does what they tell them. There was a "rave bill" in the 90s and I was a part of trying to get it removed because back then I was throwing those type of parties and was lobbying to get it removed. It was nicknamed the "Rave Bill" but it was House Bill 1529 and there was verbiage in the bill that said something like "unless you are a park that has over 25,000 visitors on average daily...etc". I am paraphrasing but it was something like that.

And the real odd part was the bill was to try and kill raves by shutting down bars after their liquor license says they can't sell alcohol anymore which varied from country to county and city to city.

So for instance if you had to stop selling alcohol at 2am, you had to close the bar at EXACTLY 2am which was ridiculous to throw all those drunk people on the road the second they are done but that's another story but the bill without calling it Disney, specifically was speaking to Disney and the weird part is what was Disney's stake in that? It's not like they had raves going until 10am which is what they were trying to kill.

Was pretty funny looking back retrospectively,

The P4 packing and presentation were pretty "Apple-esque".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4