Kodak SP360

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the video where a guy mounts a Kodak SP360 to his Phantom?

I'd love to do that but I have a Phantom 2 Vison Plus and I'm not about to remove the camera.

Do you think if I got the gimbal guard I could mount the Kodak to the bottom of the Phantom without throwing off the balance?

The Kodak camera weighs 4 oz.

What would be the difference in the quality of the pictures from the stock camera to the Kodak? Is it a higher resolution camera. Is it for just stills or video to. I'm always interested in learning.

I'm not sure there would be a difference in quality. But a big difference in the type of video.

With the software that comes with the Kodak SP360 I could pull multiple types of video. A dome view (which I think is useless), a flat 360, split screen (where you can view the front and back at the same time), a four-way split screen (front, back left, and right). The different views can be "unfolded" after you make the video. This guy does a good job of explaining it:

YouTube will even let you upload a 360 degree video...where you can click and drag to view from different directions. Here is a test video someone posted:

You can also pull stills from the video.

Here's what I'm thinking...

The camera only weighs 3.63 oz. (103g). So, get one of the carbon fiber gimbal protectors like this one and mount the camera upside down to the center of the protector.

8556684.jpg

Last edited:
103g will not have any significant influence to Phantom fly IMO. Gimbal protector + camera on it would be almost ideal solution: only problem is to fix additional camera on gimbal protector such a way it will not touch ground surface during takeoff and landing. Mine carbon fiber camera protector is only maybe about 1 cm from the ground.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1433524700.520809.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1433524712.067071.jpg

Not a problem.

Watch this video:

See the little U shaped stand he takes off from? I could build one of these in a few minutes. Now, I'd have to catch it to land but that shouldn't be a problem.

Interesting in this camera, so how do you think: to mount camera directly on gimbal protector (or with some rubber dampers, like camera in phantom 1) will be enought to remove video shakiness on non-windy days with calm flying + using software stabilization (because of very wide 360 view, shakiness should be less visible IMO), or some gimbal still will be needed ? Watched videos of SP360 camera mount, but camera setup could not be seen clearly.

Main problem for me is I like to see what I am shooting or taking video of thorough the FPV so that would be a loss. Nice thought but lacks some functionality. Otherwise it's kinda cool.

Main problem for me is I like to see what I am shooting or taking video of thorough the FPV so that would be a loss. Nice thought but lacks some functionality. Otherwise it's kinda cool.

Yes, but the idea is, to use Kodak SP360 as second camera on bottom of Phantom. Phantom camera will still record and transmit live image. Thus it is possible to get two videos from very different cameras.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4