Kill engines - "feature"

what if this was a random crash? does DJI warranty cover that or would that just think i was the dumbie that crashed my drone?

what if this was a random crash? does DJI warranty cover that or would that just think i was the dumbie that crashed my drone?
they can tell from the flight logs whether you are a dummy or it was a legit failure. however, your flight logs and flight record will also most likely prove if you were a dummy or not prior to having DJI tell you something similar. might save you some time.

Reactions: Dounin Front
i honestly dont think i performed the CSC procedure. I am pretty sure I always keep both hands on each a stick. How could i determine if i caused my crash or was it random? if it was me, shame on me. If it was random, i would like to know the reason behind it.
@jdawg39

I assume that you are relatively new to quad copters and most assuredly to the P3- otherwise you wouldn't be here asking the questions. Listen to what these folks are saying-- they have learned to be very proficient at flying them and pretty well know all the issues and problems. Hang around here, read and ask questions and you will really enjoy the hobby or profession, whichever it may be.

Pilot error causes a majority of issues in flying these "drones" and performing a CSC while flying is one of those errors. It can and does happen.-- usually because the pilot doesn't understand the full function of the Combination Stick Command.

Cheers and welcome to the Forum! :):)

Reactions: R2-D2
i will upload the logs as well as take a look myself.

I descend all the time with the throttle all the way down, or else it takes too long to descend from 400.

It is a smart drone, it wont cut off in flight.

Sounds like an inadvertent CSC, sorry dude :(

So to confirm. I'm flying, throw my two sticks inward and drone will cut out? I did it in simulator and it happened there. Worried on some stupid slip up this could happen in real life.

i can tell you this, when i land i only push down twice on the left stick and the engine kills, which i truely believe is what i did that day. I dont think i did the whole push both sticks diagonally in.

What i think i did that day is press all the way down and my hand slipped and i pressed it down maybe even 3 times. and the bird fell out the sky. It was devastating. I looked at my flight logs yesterday and didnt see anything about a CSC - i mean would it say the word CSC in the log? I didnt see that.

clarify - when i land, i press the left stick down, 2 or 3 times and the engines kill. I do not and have not ever tried to kill my engines in the manner in which i start them, which is to say press both sticks down towards the center. I still think that is a shady feature no matter which crowd i am flying into.

i dont quite remember what i was doing with my other stick, i dont think anything, but just by the question you are asking - i am back to the beginning, why in the world would anything i do kill the engines while i am that high up. that doesnt make sense to me

i can tell you this, when i land i only push down twice on the left stick and the engine kills, which i truely believe is what i did that day. I dont think i did the whole push both sticks diagonally in.

What i think i did that day is press all the way down and my hand slipped and i pressed it down maybe even 3 times. and the bird fell out the sky. It was devastating. I looked at my flight logs yesterday and didnt see anything about a CSC - i mean would it say the word CSC in the log? I didnt see that.

clarify - when i land, i press the left stick down, 2 or 3 times and the engines kill. I do not and have not ever tried to kill my engines in the manner in which i start them, which is to say press both sticks down towards the center. I still think that is a shady feature no matter which crowd i am flying into.
There is only one way to tell my man, check your flight logs and post here, especially your stick controls

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Justin Namon
- i mean would it say the word CSC in the log? I didnt see that.
No. There's a little picture in the bottom left corner of the Flight Record that shows what your stick positions are throughout the flight when you click on the little controller icon.

Do that and watch the stick positions. It will absolutely show what you were doing with the sticks when the motors shut off. The record ends when the motors cut off so it will be at the very end.

Reactions: Dounin Front
Your response is typical of dozens if not hundreds before you.

Left stick only down will not kill the motors unless it is stationary.

Performing a CSC in-flight could only be done in a panic as the crossed-up nature of the flight controls are not something you'd ever do in normal flight.

These types of e-stop/safety features have been used for years and they're not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
By the way. Pulling the throttle down "2 or 3 times" is not how you shut off the motors. You just keep the stick all the way down for 3 seconds. If it's been on the ground idling for more than 3 secs then the motors shut down the instant you pull the stick down all the way.

Reactions: littlesister36
Im confused by the "when i land i only push down twice on the left stick and the engine kills" comment? When i land i hold it down for 3 seconds or so in the same position. Never push down and up then back down again, which is what it sounds like your doing? Didn't even know that would work? :s

I dont think i did the whole push both sticks diagonally in.
For a start, here's the relevant part of the manual to show you what DJI say on the matter.
i-ZhRNmjb-XL.jpg

i can tell you this, when i land i only push down twice on the left stick and the engine kills, which i truely believe is what i did that day. ...
What i think i did that day is press all the way down and my hand slipped and i pressed it down maybe even 3 times. and the bird fell out the sky. It was devastating. I looked at my flight logs yesterday and didnt see anything about a CSC - i mean would it say the word CSC in the log? I didn't see that.

To stop your motors, you don't push left stick down 2 or 3 times - you hold it in the down position for 3 seconds.
You could put the left stick down 33 times (if you're high enough) and it still wouldn't stop the motors.

Reactions: Mako79 and brianb87
I looked at my flight logs yesterday and didnt see anything about a CSC - i mean would it say the word CSC in the log? I didnt see that.
Here is how you can see what stick positions were in flight.
Go to the flight records in the app and play one back.
By touching the little remote controller icon in the lower left of screen, you show stick positions for any point of the flight.
i-bzZf6cX-L.png

I hear you saying that, and i dont want to test to find out. But when i am on the ground and I press the throttle sticks down, it kills my engines. It was the exact same process while my bird was 80 feet up. It has not done that again, but I truely believe it was simply me double tapping the throttle sticks down. How would i determine was caused it? Since you guys are saying it was "another" reason. Which to me means, it could happen again
I always hold 100% throttle down very often when descending from a high altitude. I can say that so far the software is working well in preventing the engines from shutting down.

I'll let u know if I crash! :)

The Phantom 2 vision + even had a throttle down lock on the RC to lock left stick in the down position

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Sorry if this seems a bit off topic....there was another thread about a guy mid flight ..inadvertently moving his sticks into the turn off motors mode...his quad dropped like a brick. Many mentioned the fail safe etc. OK so I was messing with the simulator and sent the quad up to 50 feet or do, used the stop motors stick combos ....the props stop ..no pause...no delay its instant ...and it falls to the grass...which luckily cushions the fall and prevents it bursting all over the place!
I have not seen any mentions of this before..so if the sim reflects what a "real" P3 will do....must see if I can restart the motors before it hits the deck!

Sorry if this seems a bit off topic....there was another thread about a guy mid flight ..inadvertently moving his sticks into the turn off motors mode...his quad dropped like a brick. Many mentioned the fail safe etc. OK so I was messing with the simulator and sent the quad up to 50 feet or do, used the stop motors stick combos ....the props stop ..no pause...no delay its instant ...and it falls to the grass...which luckily cushions the fall and prevents it bursting all over the place!
I have not seen any mentions of this before..so if the sim reflects what a "real" P3 will do....must see if I can restart the motors before it hits the deck!

you can but you have to be well above the 400ft height ceiling

So to confirm. I'm flying, throw my two sticks inward and drone will cut out? I did it in simulator and it happened there. Worried on some stupid slip up this could happen in real life.
YES and YES :D:D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj